Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Kuras

Need to replace current video card

I have a Compaq Presario (S6000CL) that has a Via/S3G UniChrome IGP video card and I want to replace it with a GeForce 5600 or higher card to run some flight simulator software. Will the Geforce work in my computer?

My best guess is that as long as you use a PCI video card (that's the old PCI not the new PCIe), your machine should run fine and accept it. I think that machine does have an AGP slot but it is 2 not a 4X, so you can run into problems going the AGP route. Remember that you will have to remove the S3 drivers, reboot and get into the BIOS to stop your machine from defaulting to the onboard video and make PCI video the default.

Yes a GeForce will run in your computer, you have an AGP 4X/8X slot, no need for a PCI card, it would be useless for flight sims anyhow, not much better than your onboard graphics...

What flight sim are you thinking of playing? That will give us a better idea of what you need to run it with decent graphics. smile

Originally Posted By: Sampson
Yes, Relic, that is the Asus Board - HP also lists it here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...cname=c00054445
What caused me to hesitate about the AGP slot was the AGP2 specification and IGP onboard video usually indicates that it uses the older AGP specification. But, if it is the 4X, he should be able to choose from a multiple of cards. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, kinda misleading, the 2.0 stands for the AGP spec, not the speed, as in AGP 1.0/2.0/3.0. Be nice if HP would specify the AGP bus speed like every other manufacturer on the planet, instead of the AGP specification. crazy

Great resource here for those still using AGP and looking to upgrade: AGP Compliance