Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Advice choosing between 2 video cards

Hi Everyone,

First of all allow me to appologize first hand if this is in the wrong place, but I could not find a section more suited to this type of question.

Ok, here we go.

I'm on a tight budget, and I am torn between two cards which seem to be competing in an epic battle in my mind. I can't decide who would be the worthy winner of my purchase.

Any gurus out there this is your arena! Step up and challenge yourself with this nifty little practice challenge.

Ok now to the fun stuff.

On the left side, weighing at $53.63 is the PNY VCG66256XPB Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16

And on the right side, weighing at $62 is the GeForce 7300GS 256MB DDR2 PCI Express

Can you help a poor old minion like me figure out which of the 2 is a better choice for gaming.

Now now, I hear you screaming for that $300 or $400 dollar card if i want to REALLy game, but you know what. Until I am ready to get that killer gaming machine that runs at 25 Ghz, I don't see the point in spending that much on a video card, PERIOD!

Anyways, Please do share your advice with a poor lost soul like me, as I cna't decide which of the 2 to get

Thanx

Dear Relic,

I thank you for taking the time and courtesy to give some feedback. As noted however, my budget is tight. A $105 card ccounts for roughly 20% to 25% of the budget I have set aside to build a machine from scratch!

go to tigerdirect.com great deals very cheap top line products very affordable when on a tight bugget have great motherborad cpu combos and great prices on video cards

XFX GeForce 7300 GS TurboCache / 256MB / Supporting 512MB TurboCache / DDR2 / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

7300 GS GPU delivers ultra-realistic gaming effects and stunning, high-definition video without compromising performance.

$64.99

yeah i know you sould go with the all out cards but for your buck this one will work and for only 3.00 dollars more

Don't be fooled by "turbo-cache", that just means that the card has to use system RAM(which slows the card down as compared to onboard video RAM) to reach it's full potential. The wee graph on the TD site is also misleading, it's being compared to an X300 128mb, which is not in the same league.

Stay away from turbo-cache unless you have at least a gig of RAM in your system, and then it will still be slower than what nVidia states.

Hmm, I'm seeing more and more people leaning towards the 7300 GS here.

Relic and Raven, please re-read the original post. I have found a 7300 GS / 256 Meg for $62 or so shipped. However, it says 64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending. I don't know if that is the same as the RAM interface, which I sometimes see posted as 128 bit. Can someone clarify?

Also, here is the link to the 7300 I found: GeForce 7300 GS 256MB on Geeks

Originally Posted By: shassouneh
Hmm, I'm seeing more and more people leaning towards the 7300 GS here.

Relic and Raven, please re-read the original post. I have found a 7300 GS / 256 Meg for $62 or so shipped. However, it says 64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending. I don't know if that is the same as the RAM interface, which I sometimes see posted as 128 bit. Can someone clarify?

Also, here is the link to the 7300 I found: GeForce 7300 GS 256MB on Geeks

Yes, that's the memory interface; 64bit, which is slow. When it comes to gaming, 64bit just doesn't cut it, especially with newer games. Just know in advance, if you plan on playing games like BF2/FEAR/FarCry/HL2, forget about AA/AF, and stay at 800X600 or lower to get any kind of performance out of the card.

That's just the way it is, unfortunately, a 6600GT AGP will smoke a 7300GS, hands down. frown