Compatible Support Forums
guyz4u

Please Help Me Out!!!

Hi All,

I have a cable internet which has RJ45 connector at end which directly connects to LAN Switch (No router used). I have two PCs which are connected to this LAN switch thru network adapter (one in each PC). PC connects to internet using a client application, which authenticates into ISP server and also uses the client IP for authentication at ISP server.

I have been allotted IP 10.1.6.151 having subnet mask 255.255.255.128 and DNS 192.168.222.6. I have added an additional IP of 172.16.0.1 having subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on this PC.

On other PC I have added IP 10.1.6.152 having subnet mask 255.255.255.128 and DNS 192.168.222.6. and additional IP is 172.16.0.2 having subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Internet can be connected on both PCs individually.

But, now I am trying to access one PC from other and vice-versa but unable to do that. It can PING self but not the other PC.

Please advice where I am going wrong and help me in solving out this problem.

The network diagram is like:

INTERNET

|

|

V

SWITCH-------PC#2

|

|

|

PC#1

Thanks In advance....

Saurabh

Are these machines running Windoz? Why are you adding a second network (172.16.0.x)? There is no reason to do so. Can you ping PC#1 from PC#2 (and vice versa) using the appropriate 10.1.6.x addresses?

You don't say too much about the OSs running so cannot be too much further help. But, when you create additional networks you must tell the machine how to access the new network. So, in your case I am going to guess that your 172.16.0.x was being routed out your gateway and not to the other machine.

You only need the 10.1.6.x network IP addresses, the second IP addresses are not required.

Also, I suggest changing the subnet masks from 255.255.255.128

to the standard 255.255.255.0 for Class C network.

Peter, the netmask was provided by the ISP! Remember, that the netmask defines the broadcast address (when not otherwise specified). The problem GUYZ is having has nothing to do with the netmask.

Best practices, in fact, would to make the netmask something like 255.255.255.248 (allowing 6 machines to be connected to the private network). BUT, you should not do this on this network! Nor should you change the supplied netmask.

Remember that the 10. is a class A network and you may divide it up any way you want. People often misunderstand the dotted quad notation. There is no requirement to use CIDR addressing of /8, /16, /24. The dotted quad notation is only to render hex into a more readable decimal notation.