Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wiley Coyotie

Norton Internet Security 2006 wiped out my files!

After taking about 8 hours to download the software 3 times from the web (i paid for it, in more ways than one!!!) then a few more hours to attempt to install more than 4 times (you'd think I would have learned and asked for my $ back by now right?) I rebooted my machine only to find the two other accounts on my NT OS desktop (3 logons, Administrator, one for wife and one for kids) had all of their files, pictures (from the past 3 years) and e-mails wiped from the machine. Called a local computer gooroo I've worked with in the past and he told me that all is lost. Anyone got any good ideas? Been told if you pay the $20.00 to talk to Norton they'll deny everything and will blame it on your system. Had operated NIS 2005 on this machine up until this problem. Looking to get rid of Norton all together an go to another company. Any suggestions in that arena? ;( :x ;( :x

I found these in googling for a solution. Please be cautious in implementing any of them. Because you own the product you can get into their support board. You might want to try that first. My guess is that they have a "fix tool" precisely for this problem since you were probably not the first to experience it.

Two possible solutions: 1)replace "Automatic" by "Permit All" in Personal Firewall/Programs for all programs with Automatic status

and 2) (which maybe chancy) Edit of registry to change the following values:

1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

The Registry Key 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe' required a value change to '4'

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ccProxy

The Registry Key 'Start' required a value change to '4' NB. In order to accomplish this 2nd change it was neccesary to uncheck the 'Turn on Protection for my Symantec Product' (NIS Security Centre, Options Drop Down, General) and recheck it after changing the value.

And to restore what appears to be the loss of email files, got this from Symmantec: (for an earlier version of Symmantec's email problem)

To repair the problem manually

1. Start Windows Explorer.

2. Locate and delete the Extend.dat file.

The default location of Extend.dat depends on your version of Windows:

* In Windows XP/2000, the location is %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

* In Windows NT 4.0, the location is %Userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

* In Windows 98, the location is C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

The Extend.dat file is created again the next time that you open Outlook, and the Microsoft Exchange plug-in is installed the first time that an email message is opened.

3. Start the Registry Editor.

4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions\

In the following steps, it is important to leave the most recent value remaining. Delete only the older value or values from previous installations.

5. In the right pane, you may see two or more values listed that are related to Norton AntiVirus or Symantec AntiVirus. Delete the older LDVP and SavCorp values. Do not delete the newest Symantec value or any other values, except the LDVP and older SavCorp values.

For example, if you see all four of the values that appear in the following table and you are using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, then delete LDVP, delete SavCorp801, delete SAVCORP90, and leave Symantec AntiVirus alone.

The following table describes the complete list of possible values and the product versions to which they correspond:

Value Product version

LDVP Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x and early versions of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0

SavCorp801 Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0

SAVCORP90 Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0

Symantec AntiVirus Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

I had a lot of trouble as i can see, why don't you search for an alternative. I can't have your patience and there are man solutions if you contact an expert. And something very important: don't believe everything you hear, specially when it's about unqualified sources.