Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sci2000luke

Problem with Starcraft on Windows XP

Hello, I seem to be having the problem of the same nature as everyone else here, but it's a little different. I use Starcraft Brood War on Windows XP, and, every time I am about 20 minutes into the game, the same simply freezes and the only option left to me is to manually restart my computer by unplugging it so I may use it again.

Would anyone present a solution to this problem? I would appreciate it. I am not sure this occurs, especially since the CD case indicates that Brood War is compatible with Win XP. However, the CD cover itself doesn't list Win XP as an OP that Brood War is compatible with.

If Brood War is therefore not compatible with Win XP, would anyone please tell me from where I may download a patch of any sort. Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke

It´s such a pain in the ... when your game of choice does that. I, however, am playing Starcraft without a hitch on XP SP2. Something in your hardware must be teasing you somehow. Any similar problems in other games?

My hardware is an AMD x4200+, MSI MB 6702 with a VIA chipset. 2 GB RAM, ATI X800 AGP, Audigy 2, WD Raptor in RAID 0 and a couple of other HD.

You ARE using the latest patch for StarCraft, right?

Hope you get your probs solved!!

Iznogood

Sci2000luke, computers are not like cars where you can strap on a piece of equipment for a standard make and have it perform similarly in every case. To help you, you should list your motherboard, processor type, amount of memory (RAM), type of video card, etc.

As a rule of thumb (which means a guess) when you describe your problem in terms of time until the game crashes (instead of a specific screen) there are two factors: 1) heat and 2) memory.

Excessive heat affects your processor and your video card. Either of which can seize up or attempt to throttle down and fail.

Memory deals with both the amount of memory you have available or to a memory leak where a program will not release or renew its memory after a point and makes it unavailable to the system causing the computer to freeze or interfering with another program wanting to use a particular address and is excluded.

Patches for games attempt to address the most common failures to games or improve their efficiency. Again, not all patches fix every system since the each system is not similarly configured in each detail.

If you can be a little more detailed in your description of your computer, sometimes this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply guys; I didn't expect it this fast. Anyway my hardware specifications are specified: 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 384 Megabytes RAM, ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated graphics port, FUJITSU MHT2080AT PL Disk drive, ACPI multiprocessor PC, 74.5 GB hard drive.

The version of Starcraft I'm using is 1.05 and the patch I 've downloaded is called BW-113b, although I didn’t know if it's the newest; I downloaded it because it was described as something that could curb the problem I have.

Yes, Sampson, you may be right about heat. My computer is turned on normally all day and when it is turned off before sleep, the exhaust port (for ventilation) is quite hot. I will try leaving my computer turned off for a while and see what happens.

Thank you, I hope further help would be in your interest.

Luke