Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jelboy

Problems with Oblivion and now Call of Duty 2

Hi all

I have a problem with Oblivion - it would run even tho my rig is well capable.. it keeps stalling on single frames. I updated everytinhg - drivers, patches etc but to no avail then discovered a fault with call of duty 2 which reported this error

Direct3DDevice9 Present failed Driver internal error

What on earth does that mean? Has my Direct X broken? If so how do I uninstall it? Or is it my card? It's only 2 months old X1800XT...

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jelboy

Have you tried using an older driver for your video card? Sometimes up[censored] to a new driver will cause problems, just happened to me with the new Forceware 91.13 drivers from Nvidia. Kept causing BSOD and I reverted to the older ones and everything is great! I am not familiar with ATI drivers but it shouldn't be hard to find the older ones on their site and give them a shot. Make sure you uninstall your drivers first, then install the newly downloaded "older" drivers.

You should also d/l the latest network/full install of DirectX 9.0c so that you can reinstall this as well wink

Have you updated your motherboard chipset inf drivers as well ?!?

Thx guys

I have done all the things you mention but have not been able to uninstall dx to reinstall it!? Any ideas?

Also these games were fine and have seemed to detiorate over the last month.

Another interesting factor - I have an old slow small hdd with Oblivion on it and this runs ok - no probs and has latest drivers - any ideas... It appears to me the directx has become corrupt somehow but I have updated it and it reports no probs

Please help me!!!!!!

Give this a shot:

Start>Run: type in Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

DirectX

Version

For 9.0c I have a version number of 4.09.0000.0904

Change it to 4.08.0000.0904 and windows (and direct X installers) will believe you

have directX 8 installed.

Try to install 9.0c again. It wont give you the "You already have this installed" message. No idea if it will help, but it's the only idea I have left right now and it is worth a shot!

i recently had to replace my motherboard and was having the exact same error message with COD2 and Oblivion was crashing as well where it never had in the past. I came across this post searching for a solution to the problem. I'm using the X1800GTO. I had downloaded the newest drivers from ATI (Catalyst 6.8). The problem is not with Direct X. When I downloaded the old drivers I had used previously (Catalyst 6.4) the problem stopped instantly with both games. Go to ATI's website and find where you can download older drivers. I know 6.4 works, so I didn't try to get anymore current than that.