Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pinkuvs

network

I have been using COX Cable Internet for some months now, after being sick and tired of DSL. At first it was great! But now, for about a month, the connection has been getting slower and slower. And when I try to watch any streaming video (Opsgear has killer mil-sim paintball vids), it stops dead right in the middle. It is acting like there is a time limit or TTL problem. The problem is with my XP 32 bit partition. When I boot into XP 64bit, everything seems ok. So I am wondering:

Is there something from the SBC DSL days that is interferring with the cable connection? Some settings that need to be changed? I had once used DR TCP from DSLREPORTS to change settings for the old DSL connection, maybe need to change or dlete some of what it did?

Some old software causing problems? The 64 bit partition does not have much installed on it, cause it was a pain to find needed drivers, so never really used it for much.

It is certainly possible that you may need to run DR TCP to change the settings in Windows, but if it ran really well when your first started, that is probably not the problem.

My guess is that you probably have a lot of adware or spyware on your machine, especially if you are using IE. Download SpywareTerminator. Install it and run it. It's free. Whatever anti-virus program you are running - you need to scan your machine with it.

If you are using IE, download Maxathon or CrazyBrowser and use them instead. They will give you a little more protection than IE.

You would probably do better to run Opera or Firefox.

Press Ctrl-Shift-ESC buttons all at once to bring up your task manager. Look at the programs running in the background. You can bring up google and type in each of those programs to see if any one of them are a trojan or a bot. Generally, if you find one that is, you will also find a Symantec (or some other Security software) fix for it.

Installed the Spyware Terminator like you suggested, nothing to clean. Did a check on what was running in the background with Task Manager, and all the files checked out and what I have in use. Ran the Tweak Test at DSL Reports, and everything was fine (no suggestions for DRTCIP), though did show a 2 second stall. Already have Firefox, so tried that with streaming video, and it stopped at the same spot. Some setting in my system must have changed that is causing the connection to go idle. In my 64bit partition, everything runs fine, no stalling. Weird.