Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimferd

D-Link DWL 520 Wireless card with Gentoo

I have a D-Link DWL 520 wireless card that I'm trying to install under Gentoo.

lspci -v reveals:

Code:
01:01.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)        Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter, Rev E1        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11        Memory at e6aff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

I'd like to use this as a wireless access point, because I plan on using this box as a small-time wireless file server, and also to extend the wireless network in my house. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I tried installing this card with some guides I found online, and even with the kernel options, and became hopelessly lost frown

Thanks!

First of all, what version of Gentoo are you using?

How much experience do you have with Gentoo?

What exactly have you tried? What online guides?

Please be specific, as it is hard to know what you have done, unless you tell us.

It looks like lspci -v shows the card, so what have you tried to get the card up? Network Manager in Gnome? Command line setup of the card? Looks like you have a Prism based chipset card, so we know that.

Gentoo is one distro that I don't use, but I looked at the Gentoo wiki page here, which gives a step by step how-to on wireless. I do have to admit that the documnentation is somewhat technical, so I can understand if you get confused.

I just installed Gentoo 2006, so if you are still looking for an answer, I am going to try and configure my wireless tonight. Unfortunately, mine is an Atheros chipset, not a prism. So my task is a bit more complicated.

This distro is not for the faint of heart to set up. So, please don't take any offense to my question on your experience with Linux, or Gentoo in particular. It took me a good part of the weekend to configure the basics.

Are you using Gnome or KDE?

Did you emerge the wireless-tools package?