Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cyberdoc36

1920 x 1200 Screen resolution

I am a linux newbie. I just installed fedora core 5 on a dual boot system with windows xp. My monitor is a Dell 2405 24". I cannot get the screen resolution to 1920 x 1200. My video card is a MSI GeFore 6800. When running under windows XP, the video card has no problem producing a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Any help would be appreciated. I don't even know where to begin to try and find drivers.

Are you using Gnome? If so, navigate to System-->Administration-->Display. Under the hardware tab, click on the "configure" button next to Monitor Type.

Scroll down to Dell and you model will be there. Make sure that you pick the exact monitor model and type (digital or analog) that you have. Your monitor is listed as a selection.

Then naviagte back to the "settings" tab and see if your resolution comes up as supported and that you can choose the one that you want.

See if it works.

I am using Gnome and have done that. The monitor is listed, but 1920 x 1200 does not come up as a choice. Any other ideas?

If the correct card is also configured under the Video card section (not vesa), as well, and you still don't have support for the correct resolution, then you can try the Fedora FAQ how-to for the nvidia drivers, which has support for your video card.

Alternately, if this is an LCD monitor, then you can also try the generic LCD support for the resolution that you need. Same process as with my last post.