Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrnsnp

Dual Boot Win XP and FC5

I figured out what I was doing wrong on my FC5 installation. I had to go switch around which controllers my hd's were connected to. I can now boot into Win XP normally, however when I boot up FC I get command prompt login. Still can only log-in as root, if I type startx to bring up a gui all I get is a black screen. I am pretty sure it has something to do with my video card not being supported by FC5. It's a nVidia GeForce 6600, is there any way I can get the driver for it installed? I know the repo I need, but I don't know how to set up any repos through command line, but guessing it would have to be done through #vi.

OK, so you found out that you needed to switch the drive order around, as it has changed for some reason, either due to how you installed Fedora and the boot order of the drives at the time.

Did you change the boot order of the drives at all when you installed Fedora?

You now have grub, with either OS in the menu.

Interestingly, I just set up a laptop with PCI express, which gave Fedora fits. There are two possible issues. The PCI-express on your system and the video card.

Let's look at the video card first. If you got no errors loading Fedora, except for the lack of a GUI...

If you know how to use vi, then try the following first.

get into Fedora as root user, the command line, in your case.

Navigate to /etc/X11 directory;

cd /etc/X11 (capital "X" in X11)

Then do vi xorg.conf

Scroll down to the section for the video card, say something like;

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"

Driver "nvidia"

VendorName "Videocard vendor"

BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX

Replace the "nvidia" entry next to Driver from "nvidia" with "vesa"

Save the changes.

Reboot and see what happens.

If you need further instructions on the usage in vi, let us know.

If the usage of vi seems to be a problem for you, let us know. We can try another utility to edit the xorg file.

If this does not work, we can look at the pci-express issue.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Will the vesa setting conflict with my mobo (ASUS A8N SLI powered by NVIDIA nForce4 SLI) built in video driver?

smile Ok, a little bit happier, I can now successfully get up into a gui on FC5. In the xorg.conf file I changed the driver from "nv" to "vesa" and that was that.

Now comes the parts where I am on shakier grounds. I now need to get the repos set-up so I can get drivers for my video card and sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi) as I think it might be unsupported frown .

Any hints/ advice that might help me out? Be much abliged laugh

What are you looking for in term of video? If you need 3D support, see the Unofficial Fedora FAQ section on NVIDIA drivers. That section also speaks to using yum repositories and how to set it up.