Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garymillard04

dots on screen

i recently upgraded my graphics card to a 6200 inno3d geforce 6 jobby, ever since i did that i have had minor problems of dots on the screen.. i have took a screen shot...........

dots-1.jpg

Or a direct link to the picture.....

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/garymillard04/dots-1.jpg

thing is it doesnt come up that often, i am baffled, and it comes up when i do a screen shot so i guess it cant be the gfx card or moniter as i thought before.... i was wondering if somebody could help me

thanks in advance

Gary M! smile

Specs

AMD 2200+

1024mb Ram

K7vt4a+ mobo

vid card 6200 geforce

400W PSU by jantech about a week old

CDRW

DVD

2x HD 20GB SLAVE Quantum Fireball + 80GB MASTER Maxtor Diamond

That is quite strange. Is your card at stock speeds? Did you update to the latest drivers? Is the VGA plug seated securely with no dust in the pins? Is the card seated properly in the slot? Good to double check everything, often it is a quick fix.

Posted on 2006-06-16 05:16:00 by tool_462That is quite strange. Is your card at stock speeds?

YEP

Did you update to the latest drivers?

No but am about to, will tell you if i still have problems.

Is the VGA plug seated securely with no dust in the pins?

Yes because i cleaned it with compressed air..

Is the card seated properly in the slot?

Yes it is seated properly, as far as it will go without ramming it through the other side of my case lol

Good to double check everything, often it is a quick fix.

i did have to replace my power pack as it ceased to work :s

so i replaced it with a 400W jobby, because i worked out that my other 300W psu was inadequate, my PC required 275-290W standard, without all the other extra bits and pieces added on

Thanks for the reply mate much appreciated...

Will keep you posted on the outcome of the new drivers

Sounds like you diagnosed it properly before you came here, nicely done! I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers fixed the problem. If not, just let us know and we will take it from there.

it wasnt the drivers mate, it isnt really a problem as all the games i play play fine, just the dots on the screen every now and then when i am surfing the internet or general windows usage, its confused me...??? maybe the pc dont like the gfx card being used for nething but games lol who knows?? i have searched support forums high and low, people have been saying it might be heat, but the gfx card is only running at 42*c, and that doesnt seem to hot, it has a passive heatsink but i have directed a fan right on to the heatsink..... and exhaust the other side, so that should really do the same job as a heatsink n fan right??

i look forward to hearing from you

Gary

It isn't really possible that heat is causing the problem. Why then would it work solid in games when it is under load? :P 42C is a very reasonable temperature for a graphics card, I have 2 6600's in SLI and they are both overclocked to the max they can and only start showing signs of fragmenting at about 75-78C. GPU's handle heat better than CPU's and even a processor will run solid at 42 degrees. Let me look at a few sites and see if I can find anything about the problem. I haven't ever heard of something like this! Usually general usage is great but games show fragmenting and color inversion.

yeah i know i always thought it was that way round maybe it is an irish video card, loves the hard work hates the sitting around lol

Temperatures:

Motherboard 31 °C (88 °F)

CPU 41 °C (106 °F)

GPU Diode 50 °C (122 °F)

Maxtor 6Y080L0 30 °C (86 °F)

Cooling Fans:

CPU 2109 RPM

from everest 2006

i notice under load my temps go up to 50 - 60*c is that ok? as i just quited need for speed most wanted...

Yes, those temps are perfectly acceptable for a 6200. Especially the passive cooled one. I think we can eliminate heat as a cause and move on to other possibilities. I am beginning to think it is just a slight fault in the card itself. But I will continue to look around!

but the card works perfectly fine in strenuous games, but fails at displaying internet explorer properly and the start menu properly, do you think it is such a problem that i should return it under warrenty? or not? because i have only just recently bought it.... :oS

I guess what I would do is call the card maker's tech support and see what they think. A new card may or may not fix the problem but tech support would know more than I and it is your decision to determine if it is an annoying enough problem to warrant the hassle and uncertainty of solution that a return would provide.

I would just return the card and get a new one since you are still under warrenty. It can't hurt to give it a shot.