Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1872a139

BAD SLOT or BAD RAM? PLEASE HELP

i have two sticks of RAM (RAM-A: 128mb, RAM-B: 256mb, both DDR266, kinda slow but.. it's fine with me...). RAM-A is on slot one, and RAM-B is on slot 2. now, here's the problem.. RAM-B was replaced (waranty) 3 times already, due to failure with a week or up to a month between failures (what are the odds, three defective RAM sticks?)... now, i'm running the RAM-A on slot 2 to figure out who's really the culprit. it's running fine for a week now...

i'm tired of this... is it just bad RAM or the board has a bad SLOT? the motherboard and the RAM stick are still new and still in waranty... may be replaced anytime..

help me please?!

There is no way of saying given what little testing equipment you have (meaning trial and error). But, you are on the right track. By putting Ram-A into the questionable slot and watching to see if it fails, would be the next step. You might use Sisoft Sandra or download a stress test program to speed the process up a bit.

if u have a motherboard that can support (DUAL CHANNEL DDR, supported chipsets: INTEL 865P+ or Nforce2+ higher) - that means that u need 2 exact modules( 2 x 256mb or 2x512 *can work with 128+256, but I would recommend to get same speed modules), just ask the damn store to replace the damn motherboard and the ram. I also advise (very bad) to get a better ram, 6 layered, generic RAM is usually 4 layered PCB, accordingly the stability and the OverClock or undervoltage results.

Another thing, the RAM is very CHEAP nowadays, I was a distributor, seen good and bad ram. good = > MAJOR brands. such as, MICRON/SAMSUNG/INFENION/NANYA/PQI/NCP/GEIL/KINGSTON

Typical Specifications of the module 256MB 400Mhz CL 2.5/3.0 (less is better), but if u need any faster module, u can get CL 2.0, but I dont think u need it.

Remember - Low Quality RAM = UNSTABLE SYSTEM x)