Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kalam

BIOS needs updating but am unsure where/what to look for ..

Hello

I've never updated a BIOS on either my desktop or laptop before so I'd appreciate some help in first deciphering whats required and perhaps some assistance on where to get whatevers needed.

First up the problem is with my Packard Bell Easynote M7-306EDR laptop. It's running am Intel CPU 3.06GHz chip on an NEC Versa Premium A1 motherboard using an Insyde-1 BIOS version released 26/09/03.

SiSoft Sandra reports the BIOS as:

Manufacturer: Insyde Software

Version: Version 4.00

Plug and Play Version: 1.00

SMBIOS/DMI Version: 2.30

This looks to me like reporting several different versions for what i consider the same thing so I clearly don't understand what it's telling me.

From searching the net I cannot find a 'new' BIOS for this combination from either Packard Bell, Insyde or NEC and could use some help smile

Thanks in advance

Justin

Generally, you don't update a Bios unless the manufacturer has an update for a particular motherboard supported by the computer manufacturer. They usually do not do so unless their board is having a problem with some peripheral or the operating system changes in a way that needs to be accomodated. Especially, with laptops you should only update the Bios according to those given by the laptop manufacturer. If you go to the support section of the Packard Bell Easynote M7 webpage and you find no Bios update, look no further.

I'm sure you're right and normally I wouldn't consider doing so.

In fact the only real real i was thinking of doing this was that the chipset shows in 3DMark03 (the latest version of this that will run on the laptop) as having Hyperthreading available but disabled and when I looked into setting this up Intels site says you should be able to do this through the BIOS, however there are very few options in the current BIOS and hyperthreading isnt one of them.

Just a small update on this but I'm not sure if I should use these or not as I don't know how these version numbers match with my earlier post exactly ..

I found a Packard Bell Easynote M7 webpage listing these BIOS updates

BIOS

Description Version Operating System Date

EasyNote M7 BIOS Update 1.15 OS Independent 30/6/2004

EasyNote M7 BIOS Update 2.03 OS Independent 30/6/2004

EasyNote M7 BIOS Update (ISO Image) 1.15 OS Independent 9/8/2004

EasyNote M7 BIOS Update (ISO Image) 2.03 OS Independent 9/8/2004

at http://202.188.160.140/user/user_driverc...amp;model_id=79

Belarc Advisor [www.belarc.com] or Everest [www.lavalys.com] can be used to determine the current bios date:

The exact bios version can usually be read at initial bootup, when the black and white DOS mode screen is displayed.

The ISO image versions are meant for burning a bootable CD; the other 2 are for making a bootable floppy disk. Just be sure to determine which bios version (1.xx or 2.xx) is currently in use, and then upgrade to the newer version: either 1.15 or 2.03, as appropriate. Also, check for an updated chipset driver here:

http://www.station-drivers.com

Thanks for that.

Everest tells me the current BIOS date is 09/26/03

What still confuses me is the different 'version' numbers floating around depending on where I look.

The Initial DOS type bootup screen tells me it's an

Insyde Software MobilePro BIOS Version 4.00.01

System BIOS R1.06 Build at 09:48:23 09/26/03

Does this indicate the system BIOS could/should be updated with the 1.15 BIOS from Packard Bell site?

Cheers

Justin