Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjng

video card display driver problem!!

Hi,

My computer works fine in safe mode and if I don't install the display driver for the video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X). After I install the driver (downloaded from nVidia web site or from the cd I got from my computer hardware provider), I face the following problems:

- the screen goes black, comes back, goes back again 3-4 times very frequently

- screen gets locked occasionly, needs to be rebooted

- if I try to use my web camera (logiteck quickcam), the system hangs every time I try it.

- sometimes computer reboots while booting up.

The hardware is fine, has been tested by the hardware provider. Therefore it seems to me to be some driver software's problem. I have this problem with both windows xp and win 2000. CPU is AMD Athlon.

Please help me out with this problem. I don't have any clue what to do!!

Thanks in advance

mjng

Is this a new card you just installed in your system? If it is, what were you running before this card? Mobo name/model would be nice too, especially if it has onboard video.

search for an older driver for this card ..... Look for the year in the readme file. 2003 and 2004 were some good years for wine and drivers wink . Specify the Mb type please.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Its not a new video card and its not on-board. The motherboard is ASROCK K7S8XE 400FSB.

The computer was working fine before I installed logitech quickcam. Even after installing the webcam it worked fine for a few days. But now even if I don't install it, the computer doesn't work!!

Thanks again.

mjng

Originally posted by mjng:

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Its not a new video card and its not on-board. The motherboard is ASROCK K7S8XE 400FSB.

The computer was working fine before I installed logitech quickcam. Even after installing the webcam it worked fine for a few days. But now even if I don't install it, the computer doesn't work!!

Thanks again.

mjng

Do you have a friend's system you can try your card in? Sound like your card finally died. ;(

As Relic suggested, this is going to be one of those drawn out analyses that will require you to figure out if it is hardware related or software related.

Do as he suggests and find out if the video card itself has a problem. While the MX series was pretty sturdy, they did have fan problems where the fan would not spin up fast enough to knock the heat off of the video processing components.

But, another possibility is software related since this did not occur until you installed the webcam. The software provided is notorious for substituting .dll's that are earlier than Microsoft's own or which replace Microsoft's .dll's. Uninstalling the software for the webcam will not resolve the problem since the offending .dll remains behind for the one it had previously overwritten.

As I am a new member I just made two posts concerning the proverbial 'Legacy PCI Media Device' mystery...the second one may also be helpful in this instance...I suggest (as in that post) that you obtain a Freeware copy of 'PC Wizard' available from: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php and use it to Identify your Video Card Driver to see if there has been an alteration caused by the Logitech Cam Card Driver and what Hardware/Driver exists or needs to be obtained. Another alternative is to remove the Registry String containing the Logitech Cam Video Card .DLL and/or whatever other Registry String(s) are causing the problem(s)...doing this manually requires some 'Geek Experience' or you can get a copy of a Program such as Registry Healer that may be able to automatically extract it. A .DLL (Dynamic Links Library) File is one shared by sometimes many numerous Programs and they are extremely delicate/fragile/necessary to System Integrity so be very careful in this area! Then if possible go to your Control Panel and System and remove your Monitor Driver and if necessary your Display Adapter Driver and Reboot. Your Computer will normally search for the Hardware and reinstall the necessary original Windows Drivers (if they are on your C: Drive, if not they will prompt for the Windows CD). Be Careful Though. This entire post I've given you is a very drastic procedure and can result in Critical System Failure if improperly done! Especially concerning the Display Adapter since it is the primary source of a Driver for your Monitor. Too, you can check your BIOS to see what the original BIOS Video was/is, as sometimes this can give a clue. Usually you hold down F2 at Boot to access your BIOS. This may or may not be different than your present Video Display Adapter Driver and I've been able in certain instances to obtain a Driver from http://www.driverguide.com of the BIOS Video Version to 'emulate' the Display Adapter Driver necessary and solve the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the suggested solutions and post the results.

mjng