Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjwebb007

BIOS Checksum Error

Getting a CMOS Checksum error during post...

The BIOS post screen comes up showing the BIOS rev, the type of bios, drives attached, memory installed...and at the bottom it says CMOS Checksum Error and stops at that point....locks up completely, can't enter BIOS screen...computer stays in the same state....

In my experience checksum errors have been related to either the actual software or memory related. Since CMOS is more of a firmware type thing since you really can't write code to it (semantics, I can't write to it though obviously the creator and any malicious programmer can), it shouldn't be a "software" issue right? Pretty much just need to change out the memory and go from there?

Couple of different reasons for this, power failure while your computer is running, bad CMOS battery, memory.

So, how old is your mobo, and have you ever changed the battery?

If it's less than a year old, just try clearing the CMOS, either by the jumper, or by pulling the battery for 5 minutes.

If that doesn't work, pull all the RAM, then start re-installing it one stick at a time.

If none of that works, try a new battery, which I figure is the probable cause. smile

What MB is ?

I had the same problems with some Mercury MB's and older ASrok's . If is not RAM or Battery the only option left is to get an similar Chip BIOS from a broken MB and to write it with an BIOS update from the producer in an eprom Flash writer . frown

Thanks for the good advice as usual Relic. It is right at about a year and half old. I will try the battery replacement first. Then the memory changeout. The motherboard is an Asus K8V SE Deluxe. It might even be closer to two (can't remember exactly when it came out but I pretty much bought it when it hit the streets). I'll let you know the result. Thanks again.

Brand new battery installed......and......

Same problem.

Going to see if a memory swap does anything...

As good as GeIL has been recently I have had some issues with this memory....going to switch with old reliable Corsair....

Will update when I have results...

Ayup, memory it is, let us know what happens. Corsair rocks, I had to go with with OCZ for my last build, budget constraints, but the next one gets Corsair. Well, maybe, these DFI boards seem to prefer OCZ and Muskin.

If my next build is Intel(read: "Conroe"), I'll be going with Corsair without a doubt. wink