Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Blank Screen After XP Splash Screen. NO SAFE MODE

Hi All,

This is having me pull out hairs to no avail. Here's the deal.

Whenever I try to boot windows all I get is a blank screen immediately after the Windows XP splash screen.

I have a feeling this has something to do with ATI drivers (since they are crappy).

Please note that this problem ALSO EXISTS ON SAFE MODE. That is, Safe mode will also hang in this fashion.

I know this is a windows problem because Linux boots just fine, WITH both monitors.

What I HAVE tried

1.) Resetting BIOS to defaults

2.) SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE with command prompt, SAFE Mode with networking, Last Known Good Configuration, Enable VGA. (NOTE: All failed with the same problem)

3.) Boot from CD and get into recovery console! THIS WORKS

Is there any way I can force windows to use "generic" video drivers by using the recovery console?

While Im at it, is there a way to perform a windows-2000 style "repair" of windows? That is to force windows just to re-install critical files rather than going through the entire setup process in repair (Windows XP's repair is basically re-installing Windows XP).

Somebody please help!

PS: yes I DID search the forums before posting this, but the search engine returns far too many results that don't have anything to do with my problem (directly).