Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JayMac

Reinstalling 2000 Pro with no cd

Hey guys im running windows 2000 pro, and i seemed to mess it up completely. It still turns on and i get to the desktop, with no icons, cant get into anyfolders. But in safe mode i can do some of that. I need to re install windows i think, but i have no cd or boot disk for a 2000, where can i get a install cd? or how can i fix my problem? thanx a bunch

Hi Jay,

A boot disk isn't going to help you one bit on re-installing Windows 2000 Pro. I don't think the I386 folder is going to contain everything necessary for re-install either. My first suggestion is to just go into safe mode and then delete the enum key from your registry and restart normally. Also you can take your HD over to a friend's house and scan for malware. Another thing you should ask yourself (and probably did) is what did I do last to screw things up? If you just installed something try removing it from safe mode. On Windows XP it's HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum. Re-installing is rarely necessary if you know what your doing, and even if you don't it's still rarely necessary if you maintain good backups, I recommend buying an OEm copy of Acronis TrueImage for 30 bucks at NewEgg.com if you don't have one already.

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn