Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Salvatori

Installing XP Pro on a Laptop

Hi all, I recently tried to install Windows XP Pro on my Packard Bell Easynote laptop. Thing is i'm in a bind now because the laptop didn't come with a recovery cd and I formatted the hard drive. Windows XP Pro wont install properly keeps saying "cannot copy file". The files are on there tho i checked on my other comp. I tried cleaning it and using another copy but it doesnt work. So i now have a laptop with no OS - and i dont know how to get it back to factory setting. Can someone please help?

What file is missing? If it is the same file every time your could copy that one file to a floppy or the laptop's hard drove and then point it there when it pops up the error message.

Well I've managed to get it working save for a few minor problems. It was a nightmare - and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they are either computer literate or very patient - worth it though. I made a note of all the files that the XP disc failed to copy during setup, mostly .dll files, and copied the same files from my other comp which has XP Pro on. I have also had to download loads of drivers, find files from all over the place - google, p2ps etc.

Anyway there's still a few things to do - i'm using Firefox - IE gave me major headaches, still is, a lot of the times when i click on links a blank box comes up. i even copied over the ie.inf file and installed it from that but it is still way too unstable. Also - my settings wont save, so i change my theme, background etc, and when windows starts up again it just goes back to default windows look. And for some reason I cant access computer management in administrative tools, it comes up but then i cant click anything inside it. But the main thing is i cant get wireless on - it was a mission last time and i had to ring a helpline - so this time i'm hoping i cant get help online and not run up a bill.

I dont have a floppy unfortunately.