Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tool_462

Freezing when I connect USB

Have a strange problem here. I just reinstalled XP and reformatted my HDD's and this is what I'm getting: I plugged in my USB printer to install it and my PC froze. So I hit reset and everything worked fine. But I was moving cords and plugged my mouse (usb) back in and when I turned on the PC the mouse didn't work, another reset fixed this problem. Now I try to plug in my flash drive (Lexar 512MB) and the PC freezes as usual, but reset doesnt fix the problem. I tried all usb ports, 2 in front, 4 in back and none of them will work with the flash drive. The drive works fine on any other computer, and I have freshly installed XP so this is very strange.

Celeron 2.8Ghz

MicroStar MS-6714 mobo

1024 MB PC2700 memory

120 GB WD HDD

40 GB backup Seagate HDD

Geforce MX4000 128mb

Ultra X-Connect 500watt PSU

Windows XP SP2

did u install the usb drivers related to your motherboard?

also did you connect (hardware-wise) your front-usb yourself...maybe the wires are inversed or something...

that is in my computer i got 1 wire separated in 8 heads that i have to plug to my motherboard in proper order.

edit : ms-6714 is not an actual motherboard model..youll have to find out what ur exact model is to download proper drivers

I connected the plug solidly and checked it, still good. It is one of the one-piece plugs with all 8 wires connected and the one blank spot so I couldnt have inversed. I just went by what dxdiag said my mobo model was, I can check my manual. It is an online manual that comes up for an Intel 845GV v1.X motherboard.

Actually MS-6714 is the Part Number and can be used on the MSI site to figure out which model it is. The model is 845GVM-L. And technically that is purely a model, not a model number since it is alphanumeric and not just numeric. Anyway, now I am just being a nerd. Back to your original problem, yes please make sure you have the right motherboard drivers installed...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=369

But before you install drivers (which are listed there as INF files) make sure you have the latest BIOS. The latest BIOS on the site addresses the 845GVM but there are two different versions one for each revision of the PCB, see if you can figure out which version you have. This is very important and should be listed directly on the motherboard itself as Version 2.0 or 4.0 or whatever. This alone may solve your problem as it seems to me that the update description addresses "Wrong information of floppy in device manager under WinXP when plug USB floppy." Most systems would see a flash drive as a USB Floppy drive. Even if you have the latest BIOS installed you may want to reflash it to make sure it all took. From what I understand you bought the board used so really the state of the BIOS is unclear at best. You shouldn't need to install USB specific drivers since you are using WinXP SP2 (it has them built in) but there could be some miniscule conflict that is not registering with that BIOS. Let us know what happens and good luck.

I reinstalled the USB drivers first from a download, then from windows xp setup disk, but still no luck. I will try flashing the BIOS tonight probably, but I have never done it. Know of any good guides? Im sure I can find one on google if not.

Did you figure out which board revision you had (2.x or 4.x)? The file you download from the link should also have a Read Me file in it. It will tell you exactly how to do it. You could also search MSI's site for LiveUpdate and use Windows to update you BIOS. Once you have the program up and running you can ask it to search for BIOS files and it will tell you which one you have and then allow you to update it from within Windows...

Good luck....

Says Ver: 1 right above PCI slot 1. I may or may not mess with this tonight, I just ordered a Abit NI8 SLI mobo and Pentium D 805 combo that will be the new board in the case that the MSI is in. I will probably toss the board into an old case and make an internet browsing machine for a friend, but wont worry too much about getting the USB to work. Thank you very much for the responses! Another problem fix added to my mental "hard drive" smile