Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mctonale

Untitled thread

After fixing my neigbors 2000pro PIII (she was runing for some time(including p2p) without anti-virus).By installing her Hard drive into my computer (It realy was the last option).

Not realising that the partition table had been left on her hard drive. My computer wouldn't boot so I re-installed XP. I was getting someware near previous configuration when I realised that F:\ (a partittion of c:\) was no longer readable. so I consulted our old friend google.

I downloaded a demo of a program (please don't ask which one) which on startup recomended that I back-up to a:\. not having a floppy drive I tryed setting my mp3 player as a:\ (wouldn't work). so I skipped (I know what im doing It "should be ok").

That program couldn't fix the boot sector of f:\ (but recomended a $99 program that would. lol).

I re-boot and "NTLDR missing". I don't know much about recovery console but have tryed evereything that looks like it might work.

I am now running from an old 1.9 gb hard drive (which I was lucky to have lying arround) C:\ (now e:\) is readable (but not bootable) and f:\ (now d:\) is not readable and has strange file names.

Please help. I want my computer back.

p.s. sorry for the untitled thread must have missed it in the many retypes.

Great I will give it a try.

Thanks a lot.

Any Ideas about recovering F:\ (without spending a fortune)?

Well I managed to boot from c:\ but found I was being hacked while re-up[censored] to sp2. I found some unknown (unknown by google) programs connected to the internet and asking (identifyed as yahoo messenger) to become startup items.

After sp2 was installed the start button was missing.

Taskbar and system tray are still active (although I cant see them) and I can access most of the the rest of windows.

I think I will have to backup and format/re-install everything.

Quote:
Take a look at Acronis.

Thanks. Will do, as soon as I get a chance.

When you reinstall, disconnect the Internet access.

Enable it after you have installed firewall (and antivirus).

This way no unwanted processes can access the computer.

Quote:
When you reinstall, disconnect the Internet access.
Enable it after you have installed firewall (and antivirus).

This way no unwanted processes can access the computer.

I did on the first try it must have been something dorment?

Thanks but I'm not a noob, I am a master at screwing up and fixing my computers (although this is the first time in a while),

Backed up and reinstalled (getting there slowly). Decided to loose my sons files on f:\ reformated and resized the partition (wasn't big enough anyway and the files are easily replaceable).

Thanks all.