Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slacomble

dual boot winxp fedora core 5

Hello,

I am a complete newbee in linux. It is the first time I try to install it.

I would like to have a dual boot with windows xp and FC5.

Basically, I have three scsi HD.

One primary disk of 150 go and two of 70go linked together with a raid. Amazingly, winxp recognize 150g disk as the primary whereas linux recognise it as sdc3.

I installed win xp with the original cd of MS on sdc. Basically, I create one NTFS partition of 50 gigs on sdc. I installed everything correctely. Winxp works well.

Then I installed FC5 on sda, and at the end of the installation process (sda1=boot, sda2=swap, sda3=root). I don't have the grub menu. I boot only on winxp. During the installation procedure, it was not possible to instal the boat loader record in sdc, then i installed it in sda MBR. So, only XP boot.

When I changed the order and boot only on the other drives, I only get the message "GRUB". No other messages.

So I then did what you suggested in the previous thread which was load linux rescue and I type in the console chroot /mnt/sysimage

Then I typed in the console grub-install /dev/sdc to install the GRUB in the real primary disk.

But know, nothing is loading. I even can get through xp. I get the message "GRUB Hard Disk Error"

Do you have any clue of what I should do? I don't mind to reformat everything, reinstall everything if it will work.

Would you have any idea of wich architecture should I choose? Wich partition on wich disk, with wich OS (XP, FC-root, FC-boot, FC-swap)?

Many thanks for your help

Sylvain

[Edited by slacomble on 2006-04-25 15:49:41]

[Edited by slacomble on 2006-04-25 16:06:45]

[Edited by slacomble on 2006-04-25 16:12:16]