Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigmark100

About to install Fedora Core 5 with XP, whats ideal setup

Hi,

If i am wishing to installed Fedora Core 5 on a PC , to dual boot with XP.

What would you say is the idea setup to have the PC at before installing.

I know I should XP installed first.

But what should the drives look like?

How should they be formatted?

any other tips?

Looks like you already went ahead with your installation from your other post. Please refer to that thresd.

I'm experiencing a problem while attempting to install Fedora Core 5. I already have FC 3 loaded on the machine, but I am NOT going to make the box dual-boot. Instead, I will re-format the entire disk and begin a brand new install.

I downloaded the five .iso installation files, as well as the rescue .iso file. I then ran sha1sum on each file. Each result agreed perfectly with the result posted on the the site from which I downloaded. So far, so good. I then burned six CD-R's, one for each file. I performed the burn by right clicking each file, and then chose "Write to disc..." from the drop-down menu. Each burn appeared to go smoothly.

Okay, so now I drop disk number 1 into the CR-ROM drive and reboot the machine. I am presented with the initial FC 5 installation screen, and a couple of screens more I am prompted to begin testing the CD media before actually installing the software. Now comes the problem: Installation disks 1 and 4 pass the media check, but disks 2, 3, 5, and the rescue disk all fail. Huh? As I stated above, sha1sum returned the correct result for each .iso file. Thinking that maybe there was something wrong with the platters themselves, I re-burned the files onto new disks. Same result. I then swtiched CD-R brands, going from TDK 700 MB disks to Maxell 700 MB disks. Again, sam problem. I've downloaded the offedning .iso's from another web site, thinking that perhaps that was the problem. Same result.

I am assuming that someone in this world has successfully installed Fedora Core 5 by the procedure that I am employing. Perhaps I should buy Nero Buring ROM and burn the disks on my MS XP home machine.

A couple of specs:

The mahcine is equipped with an AMD Athlon 2700 CPU. The CD-ROM drive is a Sony CD-RW CRX230ED.

Any insight would be appreciated.

cascade58

Two questions.

What burning program are you using and in what OS?

What speed are you burning the disks at?

See my article on the subject located here.

danleff,

I'm not sure which burning software I am using. All I do is right click the file, and select "Write to CD..." from the drop-down menu.

As for speed, I don't seem to have any choice. There is a greyed out submenu item which lists "Maximum speed possible." I cannot change this setting.

cascade58

I believe that this function, in Fedora, just writes the file to a cd disk, but does not burn the iso image to cd. You need burning software to do this correctly.

If you look at the contents of one of the offending cd disks, do you see just one iso file written to the disk, or a group of files and directories, which indicate that the iso image was extracted and burned to the cd disk correctly.

The other issue is the speed that the iso image is burned to the cd. It should be at 4X or 8X, no faster.

Look to see if you have K3b burning software on your Fedora Core 3 installation. If not, and you are using KDE as your desktop GUI, install K3b either via yum, or the software manager in Fedora.

Then you can try to burn the iso images to disk correctly by choosing in the K3b dropdown menu..--->Tools--> burn cd image or burn iso image.

See if in K3b, that you can set the burn speed slow, as mentioned above and in my article.