Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Avalance

SLOW network browsing in Win2K....

We've got about 10 computers in our local network, some of them running Win98 and some of them Win2K Pro. We haven't got a server.

It generally works fine to share files and resources across the network, but I've noticed one strange thing about Win2K: It takes FOREVER to get the list of shared resources from another computer! Once a specific resource has been opened, everything works fine, so if I for example write \\COMPUTER\PATCHES in Explorer, the resource opens immediately.

But to get the list of shared resources simply takes forever!!! (Actually about 30 seconds, but it’s way to long anyway…)

This goes almost immediately in Win98, why not in Win2K?

Hi,

Your problem has to do with the windows 98 registry.

Somebody should reply. I don't know the exact thing to tweak.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing too. I've tried messing with the network settings, but to no avail...if anyone has any ideas...

Your problem probably lies in the NT core of win2k. NT has a network resource resolution pattern that requires it search for certain items in a set series (WINS, DNS, etc). Now the actual timeout length for requesting attention from these network resources is variable. I am certain a registry tweak guide will surface that will let us alter exactly how long it searches for a wins or master browser list from your local network. Just an example because I do not know the list it follows before it is certain it has resolved all the resources on the network.

I can't solve your problem totally, but I had a similar prob wiht NT4 linked to 98. I reduced the time by only using TCP/IP and disabling TCP/IP Netbios Helper service

Good luck

Hi

i am using Win2K Pro and Win98 in my LAN.

Everytime i want to access the Win2K PC from

the Win98 PC it asks for a passwort for

\\PC\IPC$ ! Can anyone help me, because i've

never set any password for this resource!

Please mailto: opophal@gmx.de !

Hammer_One, that problem is easy to solve. Just open the Computer Management Console (from Control Panel/Admin Tools) and go to "System Tools"/"Local users and groups"/"Users". Double-click on the Guest-account and make sure the "Account is disabled"-box is not checked!

You can enable the guest account, or create a new user using the login/pass for users on the 98 machine, it's a little more secure that way

A way round this is to use the host.sam and LMHost.sam files during the dns lookup stage, NTx and 9x use these as a backup to DNS (if you look in the TCP/IP properties in NTx you will ses under DNS an option to lookup LMhost).

You do this by using notepad to edit the files and enter the entries in the format of the example within the file.

i.e.

192.168.1.1 user1

192.168.1.2 user2

This should also help speed up network browsing.

This is also a good way of solving browsing problems on a machine that is on two seperate ip domains.

Hope this helps

Simon