Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

XP network install causing severe hair loss

I've copied the contents of a HP Home disc to a desktop compy & shared the folder. Using the Bovistech V3 TCP/IP boot disk, I have no probs accessing the shared folder & initializing the XP setup. However, I'm repeatedly prompted that:

XP requires a hard disk volume with at least 333 MB of free disk space....bla bla bla.

The pc in question is a Toshiba notebook, model 2410. The hard disk is working fine, & I even tried another unit to make sure. I even fdisked/partitioned/made_active the disk in another pc, but still nada. I'm never asked where I want to install to. The first screen is simply to confirm the install files are on H:\i386 (H being the mapped "net use" drive). After I hit "enter", I'm greeted by the italics I've repeated above. What gives here?

Had already formatted the disk. Could it be because the boot disk (floppy) is my C: drive? When the network boot disk completes loading, it leaves you at:

C:\Net

then all I do is add the proper syntax to successfully access the network share:

C:\Net net use z: \\techrm\toshiba

From there I merely go into the i386 folder & start the installation by executing winnt. Once that has happened, I'm prompted to hit "enter" to confirm the install files are at Z:\I386. It's then that I see the "your hdd ain't big enough" error I quoted in my initial post.

Should I be trying:

C:\Net net use C: \\techrm\toshiba instead?

I'm sorry man, but I find it hilarious that "Ron Jeremy's" "HardDrive" isn't big enough, that just busts me up, I'm really sorry, heh heh heh laugh

I would say the problem is you are on the c: drive (from your boot up) and setup is thinking that's where it want to write the setup files and it can't.

Change your boot-up disk to something like "Q:" or "R:"

It should be easy.