Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidspray

Abit BP6, Win2k and APM

Harkening back to Win98, under System devices, I recall an APM entry under there.

I do not see it under Win2k, and am wondering if it is a coincidence that with that entry missing Win2k is not able to power off my computer with the software.

No matter what I put in BIOS (running the latest QQ beta) for override power button, or PM settings, I can't get the soft-off feature to enable. I always wind up having to power off with the button (for 5 seconds).

Also, it seems my "Power Options" under control panel is limited. No "Standby" is offered, Hibernation is there, but when I try to go into Hibernation (from Start menu) it tells me something like "Driver for Secondary IDE device is preventing the system from entering Hibernation, please close all programs and try again, otherwise this driver may need up[censored]". I close everything (within reason) and try again, and I get the same mesage...

Anybody have any clues for me?

Thanks,

-AciD

[This message has been edited by acidspray (edited 03 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by acidspray (edited 03 March 2000).]

my son has a BX6 rev 2.0 he does not have one nor does he have the APM fuctions .... We just figured it was W2K...

DO you have any?

Regards

Jim

First: always check www.bp6.com

What I did with my BP6 is this:

-Flashed to the new QQ-bios

-When win2k setup asks for third party drivers, you hit F6 AND F5. F6 gives you the option of installing drivers for the IDE66 controller, and F5 lets you choose which kind of machine you're running. If you have processors in both your slots, choose the ACPI Multiprocessor PC or something like that. It's almost in the top of the list.

And voila. I know have ACPI and auto-shutdown.

---

Viper

APM is, as it were, obsolete. You need to have ACPI enabled on your BIOS (and it would probably be a good idea to have MPS 1.4 selected). This change, however, does not take effect "on the fly". In other words you need to, at a minumin, change win2k's kernel to use ACPI.

You can do this as was explained in the previous post or you can "upgrade" win2k on itself. That is, choose "install" after you have given it the hpt66 drivers (via F6) and then choose "repair" (as opposed to fresh install). This will re-install the entire system, while keeping your applications intact. Of course you will have to manually re-install any non-digitally signed drivers you might have put on your box (at the very least video drivers).

daniel

Under "power options" in the control panel you must select to "Enabel advanced powermanagement support" under the APM tab.

//Satspy

Thanks all, particularly Morillo and Viper. You guys nailed it. I, lets say, refreshed my Win2K install by going through setup again and hitting the F5 and F6 as recommended.

I've now got ACPI installed and working. Woohoo, mouse button starts the system, software shuts it down.

Still have that lingering message when I try to hibernate however, that is, an error message syaing my secondary IDE driver is interfering with hibernation, and it tells me to shut programs down and try again, or I may need a driver update...weird. Any other BP6 dualy users have this problem?

Thanks again!

-AciD

Well, hibernation is still somewhat of a problem when you use the hpt66 controller... For some reason ABIT has yet to figure out that part. Hopefully when they release the official version of the QQ bios this will get solved too. in the meantime, you just pretty much have to forget about hibernation if you want to use the hpt66 controller.

daniel

Hi,

I have a BP6 and have the same pb for hibernation and it obviously come from the hpt366 driver.. so choose UDMA66 or hibernation ! I made my choice smile

------------------

Config:

Dual celeron 400 on BP6

128 Mo SDRAM PC 100

Rage fury 32Mo, SB Live Player

IBM 20Go U66,DVD A103S,Yamaha 4*4*16*: IDE

Win2000 Final

Right on, I'll hang onto the UDMA66 for now myself.

Rumor has it Abit is working with HPT to correct the problem in the final release of the QQ bios.

We'll see, thanks for the help,

-AciD