Compatible Support Forums
Char27

Crashing

Like bulging...rounded...sticking up so it is not flat...or it could just be a different color than the rest (most likely brown or dark reddish).

Bad caps make a system unstable all the time, not just when downloading, get off the "bad caps" BS people, I know this for a fact, I have swapped caps on my old mobo, this is not the problem, nor was it ever the problem, be cool if "shots in the dark" were not fired.

Char, when you format, do you do a quick format, or the full monty? Have you run chkdsk on your HDD? Have you tried downloading the diagnostic from your HDD manufacturer to check your drive fully? Have you tried writing your HDD to zeroes?

Bad caps on your mobo are definitely not your problem, RAM or HDD.

Sounds like Relic is taking "shots in the dark". If he had read my earlier post than he would under stand that I change out the HD with a known good HD. But it still crashed. The first thing that people do after installing an OS is to do an update. Which is a download. I fack I have seen this issue twice. Once with my computer and another time with a friends. It is so easy just to check the capacitors. Easier than doing a format and less time consuming than a low level format. It sounds like he has tried everything but checking the capacitors.

Originally posted by prestonmgb2003:

Quote:
Sounds like Relic is taking "shots in the dark". If he had read my earlier post than he would under stand that I change out the HD with a known good HD. But it still crashed. The first thing that people do after installing an OS is to do an update. Which is a download. I fack I have seen this issue twice. Once with my computer and another time with a friends. It is so easy just to check the capacitors. Easier than doing a format and less time consuming than a low level format. It sounds like he has tried everything but checking the capacitors.

Try to keep up, sunshine, the problem only occurs during downloads. Bad caps affect the system all the time, not just during downloads.

Being an avid overclocker/modder/enthusiast, I have been overclocking and building my own systems since 1995, my "mommy" didn't just buy my computer for me yesterday.

Having successfully removed, then reinstalled new caps on my old mobo(which I sincerely doubt you can say), which still works to this day, I do believe I have a clue as to what I am talking about.

Ya know, seein as how you seem to be an expert, I'll just leave this thread and let you solve his "bad caps" problem, good for you, you rock. smile

For the expert Relic. Bad caps will pass diagnostic test as mine have. The only thing that was wrong was the caps. Why replace them? Not worth my time or trouble. But like I said he has tried everything else. Why not give it a try. Char27 let us know how the capacitors were.

Quote:
For the expert Relic. Bad caps will pass diagnostic test as mine have. The only thing that was wrong was the caps. Why replace them? Not worth my time or trouble. But like I said he has tried everything else. Why not give it a try. Char27 let us know how the capacitors were.

3 caps => $3.

Time to replace, including pulling mobo, removing/installing new caps, reinstalling mbo, 1/2 hour.

New mobo => minimum $100. Time to pull mobo, swap parts from old mobo to new mobo, reinstall mobo and all new drivers and possibly your OS, 45 minutes to an hour.

Yuppers, I can see how that wouldn't be worth your time nor money. laugh

I thought idea was to help Char27 find a cause and solution to his problem. Not bicker amoung ourselves or blow our own horn. I had made a suggestion to the cause from having the same problem with one of my computers on my network. If we are going to be blowing our horns and not come up with solutions then we should not be here at all. We can either learn from each other or not. The choice is up to us.

If you always do what you have always done

You will always get what you have alsways got.

Look out side the box sometimes. It may suprise you.

Quote:
I thought idea was to help Char27 find a cause and solution to his problem. Not bicker amoung ourselves or blow our own horn. I had made a suggestion to the cause from having the same problem with one of my computers on my network. If we are going to be blowing our horns and not come up with solutions then we should not be here at all. We can either learn from each other or not. The choice is up to us.

If you always do what you have always done

You will always get what you have alsways got.

Look out side the box sometimes. It may suprise you.

Yes, let's not blow our own horns. Oh, do you mean that I'm blowing my own horn? Why? Because I swapped out caps? It's very simple, anyone can do it, it's not rocket science, nor do you need a degree in electrical engineering to do it. It's a simple fix, wow I did it, so did thousands of others, that's not blowing my own horn. If stating that I saved myself a wad of cash by swapping out said caps is blowing my own horn, in your opinion, ah well, I can live with that. There, I'm over it. wink

I'm a firm believer in "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid. Eliminate all the most likely suspects, then start delving deeper.

Char has not got back to us about running a diagnostic on his/her HDD. Memtest86 should also be run to test the RAM. Neither has been done.

Possibly, posters get overwhelmed when they ask a question, 10 different solutions all at once are tossed at them, they really don't know which way to turn.

The first response in this thread should have been something to this effect: Please post your full system specs. Have you run Memtest86? Do you have the latest drivers for your mobo and vidcard? What type of RAM are you using, and how much/number of sticks? Have you run a diagnostic on your HDD?

There should be a "sticky" in this forum, somewhere, that tells people what they should include in their post, when asking for technical help.

Posts/questions like: "My games are slow, how can I fix my vidcard, does it need new drivers?" with nothing else, are, well, impossible to answer. Maybe the guy is playing on an old 386SX, who the hell knows?

It generally plays out like this:

My games are slow, how can I fix my vidcard, does it need new drivers?

Make sure you have AGP fast writes turned on in your BIOS.

Okay, I finally figured out how to get into my BIOS, but I have no AGP fast writes option.

Hmmm, it should be there, what AGP options do you have?

None at all, but I do have options for PCI-Express, whatever that is.

Yuppers, if the full system specs were posted in the first place, NO ONE would be taking shots in the dark. I don't take "shots in the dark". Some people do, ahem, such as: "Your caps are bad because I had bad caps and had the same problem".

Peace. wink

Since Relic is an expert on everything about computers. I will not be like him and say that I'm leaving this thread and not. This is the last I will post on this thread again. Nice to know that some people have so BIG of an ego that they can't see any other options. Relic since you are unable to accecpt anything that disagrees with you.

But my question is, Why are you replacing so many capacitors for? If you would quit burning up your boards they may last longer. But then you are the expert in everything about computers.

Char27, I do hope you find out what the problem is.

Also Relic if you had read all my post you would have found out that I had eliminated the ram and hd but still had the problem.

Have fun folks.

Quote:
Since Relic is an expert on everything about computers. I will not be like him and say that I'm leaving this thread and not. This is the last I will post on this thread again. Nice to know that some people have so BIG of an ego that they can't see any other options. Relic since you are unable to accecpt anything that disagrees with you.

But my question is, Why are you replacing so many capacitors for? If you would quit burning up your boards they may last longer. But then you are the expert in everything about computers.

Char27, I do hope you find out what the problem is.

Also Relic if you had read all my post you would have found out that I had eliminated the ram and hd but still had the problem.

Have fun folks.

You may have eliminated the RAM and HDD, but obviously, Char has not. This is not your system we're talking about, it is Char's system.

I do not understand your question: "But my question is, Why are you replacing so many capacitors for? If you would quit burning up your boards they may last longer. But then you are the expert in everything about computers."

I had a DFI CA64 TN, that I found out after purchasing was well known for having bad caps. I replaced them. I have never had to replace caps on any other mobo. WTF are you talking about when you go on about "If you would quit burning up your boards"?

If YOU had read my post, and been able to comprehend it, you would not make such a statement.

You think I have a big ego? TFB, get over it. I don't ATTEMPT to answer questions I have no answer for, nor toss out shots in the dark, you'll never see me answering a question about a networking problem, that's not my forte. Anything beyond my scope of knowledge, I stay away from.

I come to this forum to help people, not for anything alse. I don't ask for help in these forums, I help when I can.

Senior members of this forum know that, you are a noob, you have no clue. I have no problem leaving this forum altogether, so noobs like yourself can take over, and your "shot in the dark" answers will rule the day.

Fuck you, asshole.

Yeah I was just telling him what caps were. I had an Abit KA7-100 mobo that had seven or eight caps that were oozing. Never had a stability issue once. Well maybe the fact that my CPU socket burned up (and I mean literally) due to the wavering voltage from the caps could be considered a "stability" issue but as far as the OS operating...rock solid. smile Anyway, I hope everyone feels better. Earlier in the post, it seems that there were several mentions of formatting therefore not a virus...can't viruses stay resident in the Master Boot Record of the hard disk regardless of format? I may have missed something from earlier but I am pretty sure this is true (but obviously not the issue if hard drives have been swapped).

Originally posted by mjwebb007:

Quote:
Yeah I was just telling him what caps were. I had an Abit KA7-100 mobo that had seven or eight caps that were oozing. Never had a stability issue once. Well maybe the fact that my CPU socket burned up (and I mean literally) due to the wavering voltage from the caps could be considered a "stability" issue but as far as the OS operating...rock solid. smile Anyway, I hope everyone feels better. Earlier in the post, it seems that there were several mentions of formatting therefore not a virus...can't viruses stay resident in the Master Boot Record of the hard disk regardless of format? I may have missed something from earlier but I am pretty sure this is true (but obviously not the issue if hard drives have been swapped).

Yes, some viruses hook into the MBR, "boot sector" viruses. Considering it has already been established by the experts in here that it's not a virus, I found no reason to expand on that, seems a simple format gets rid of ALL viruses, according to the experts.

Being the egotistical SOB that I am, I would boot from the XP CD, then head into the recovery console and type in "fixmbr". That would dump any boot sector virus, but WTF do I know? wink

It's probably just because you are Canadian... smile (One of my favorite ports in my entire Navy time was Halifax). I hate how tone doesn't translate easily in computer text. So if it wasn't obvious that Canadian reference was a joke. One thing too that causes a lot of confusion is that this is an Anglo-centric forum so those of us who do not speak English well sometimes have a hard time expressing themselves i.e. Char27 and apparently prestonmgb2003 (though he does seems to grasp syntax and grammar, just not how to make coherent thoughts). Anyway, hopefully again no one is offended. As I stated before, tone translates very poorly without voice or facial expression, so keep that in mind when posting. And for anyone who needs the verification, more of my problems on this forum have been solved by Relic posts than any other. I am done with my tangent. Char27, I would try doing what Relic's last post said. That would ensure that it is not a virus problem. Like I said, and Relic confirmed, Boot Sector Viruses (and these are quite common) can stay in the MBR and without clearing the MBR, will stay resident. This would also give the same indications of what is happening to you.

Oh, and last mention of my tangent, rocket science is not so hard...it's just some chemistry and physics....brain surgery....NOW that is tough....

okay i think i have time to check the capictors tomorrow smile

okay..i wont buy new RAM before i check this out..

i dont have so much money that i can buy new ram just so quickly frown

i dont know what to do ..

well the crasing isnt always when i download..

well i was looking in forum today..and had crash

then restarted comp and as i was typing in my computer user password ja had a new crash and after that..my comp was loading..when the windows XP logo was on..it crashed again

so it's rather weird

and i was playing a game called Silkroad Online

when i go to town...then i always crash

and when i aint in town then i never crash..

and i want to add that..i town there are like 1000 people all around me..and they make me lag and crash ! i am sure about that , that i crash in the town because of people..but what part of my comp handles those people..i mean...why it crashes when there are MANY people around me ? what could cause that?

also i would like to add that...when it crahsed earlier in windows login screen..and in password screen..i removed the internet wire from my computer...and i got in with ease...

and i have had many more crashes in windows login screens all the time...just it crashes even before i log in my user..so i simply remove the internet wire...log in to windows..and put the wire back in...so it dont crash..so mby it is smthing to do with internet?

though..i have been at my neighbours appartment..we have shared internet with like 5 people here...dont have money to get one of my own ..

but hes computer never crashes..so it cant be the internet problem..so what's wrong?? frown

i am desperate already...i really wanna play this game .. and download movies..songs etc etc...and all i do is crash...I HATE IT frown

i really need guidance here people

and no more fighting in this topic please

i go sleep now..see u tomorrow

so..i just opened my computer...

the picture wasn't pretty..everywhere was so much dustttt frown

i cleaned as much as i could smile

so..well i found that 2 parts of my comp are not attached to my comp :P

they were just movin all around my computer laugh

eheh..1 part was rather big..and 1 was little

well i drew the little part...

8a295c6c2d47baf7bab922e1839ac346.jpg

and the big part is like cubic with lots of sticks pointing out...

i think it is the yellow one in thic pic..mine in silver

inside.jpg

Hi Char, welcome back to the forum.

Let me ease your mind on one of the problems you mentioned. When you play a game online you are logging into another computer, so are those other people you see.

There is nothing on your computer that handles the other 1000 people in town.

As for the large part that you said was moving around in your computer. I would guess that it is the heatsink for your CPU but others in here will know for certain.

I think the silver piece you describe could be a heatsink. If it is then your computer could be overheating. Download a program called Motherboard Monitor and check your motherboard/CPU tempratures.

No idea what the second part could be frown Could you take a picture of the small part?

Yankee

okay here are two pics of mini part

1zf4yfr.jpg

1zf4yme.jpg

and here are 3 pics of the big part

1zf4wer.jpg

1zf4y1f.jpg

1zf4y93.jpg

i downloaded speedfan

do u know what is fan2 and temp3?

weird..i recently opened computer and i didnt saw anything melted..

also..about half year ago i had same thing..fan2 didnt work and temp3 was 127..and it doesnt change..always 127..exactly 127

mby tell me any more temp programs..some easy program..just install and see temp smile

1zfj4nb.jpg

As for the pictures, I am not sure what the small piece is but the large silver piece is your heatsink.

and what does the heatsink do?

because my comp runs "normally"

for me normally is that it crashes all the time but everything else is okay :P