Compatible Support Forums
Char27

Crashing

i have a problem that my computer crashes all the time

under "crash" i mean that everything stops..mouse doesn't move and no button functions..only one is RESET

okay..the crash happens mostly if i download smthing

it includes going to some webpage...(i need to download temporary files to be on webpage)

mostly i happens if i want to download a file

i have noticed that it crashes usually when i download an *.exe file

but it happens also with other formats

BTW DAP,Getright and other download programs are not helping

okay..i can live with crashing .. i mean.. i can resume my downloads.. but it can be rather sucky if u'r computer crashes about 100 times per day...

my other problem is that...sometimes my download speed goes to zero and it wont go further..it just stops...like..pause/resume don't help..usually this is with most of 10 MB files ... but i am pretty sure that it doesn't matter if file is bigger or smaller..but i think that if the file is smaller it just doesn't have time to make my speed zero..

also i have noticed that when i'm using Kazzaa and Ares or smthing like that..i mean the file comes from looots of different users..not from server .. then it doesn't stop the download(speed doesn't go to zero)

i am really worried..i do not know what to do..

it's impossible to download smthing and i hate it..

really do..if i could get rid of it, it would be awsome..i could download like millions of things that i have wanted to download but never have had a chance

looking forward of your answer..btw sry about my english..it's not my mother language smile

All right im not going to pretend to be an expert with your problem, but a wise thing to do would run your anti-virus software, anti-adware/spyware software. Do you have dial-up, dsl, or cable internet. What operating system do you run on? (windows 98, 2000, xp...)If you run something in your CD drive do you hear a humming noise which would mean your computer's fan would be turning on properly, and when you say your computer crashes you mean it freezes and makes you restart it right?

Gef4000, is correct in what you need to do. I wouldn't doubt if you haven't picked up alot of Spyware or worse.

If you can download a small file then go here and download Hijack This and run it and post the log in this thread.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

Good Luck

i don't think it is because of spyware

because i have formatted my comp many times..same problem still frown

i do have kaspersky..but i don't think is virus

mm i am running on xp..yes sometimes noise comes..sometimes it is sharp noise..like rrr rrr rrr rrr or smthing..but this is very rarely...usualy the humming noise i think...i think i have dsl..

i know it is not modem for sure .. it is 2mb internet..but it is shared with other people..like i behind router...

Quote:

and when you say your computer crashes you mean it freezes and makes you restart it right?

yes it freezes and then i just press restart because nothing else works...

Hmmm ... at first if it wasn't spyware I thought your computer might be getting over heated and shutting down but since it just freezes that means its got to be something else, im not too sure but your memory might be insufficient, but I really don't know. On my dad's computer it always used to freeze and i'd have to restart it but then, I upgraded memory and it appeared to happen less often. But that wouldn't explain why your internet speeds are so slow ... sorry but i really don't know what to say or look for ...

hmm memory..u mean RAM?

i have 256 of that

and 2Mb isn't slow internet speed..or it is? shocked

but u know why it almost only happens when i download smthing? :S

like i said i do not know enough to say for sure but the most logical would by adware, spyware, virus, or even a worm(not likely) but i would highely suggest running norton or your anti adware/spyware software but you said you reformatted it many times does that include durring the time the crashes started?

It sounds like you seriously need to add more ram to your system

are u sure that i need ram..i mean .. it almost only crashes when i download..does download need so much ram?

also...the crashing has been for many years now...i don't know when it started

they may have been from start too..but can't say for sure

and i have reformatted recently too..

Quote:

but you said you reformatted it many times does that include durring the time the crashes started?

yep

Full system specs please, as in

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Power supply

Hard Drives

Videocard

Soundcard

Ethernet card

The full monty, there's no point in us try to fix a problem if we have to guess what type of hardware you have in your system.

SiSoftware Sandra

System

Host Name : KODU

User : Jaanus

Domain : WORKGROUP

Processor

Model : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1500MHz

Speed : 1.51GHz

Performance Rating : PR1665 (estimated)

Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)

Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)

Internal Data Cache : 8kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 64 byte line size

L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

Mainboard

Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus

MP Support : 1 Processor(s)

MP APIC : Yes

System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG

Mainboard : i845ITE8712

Total Memory : 256MB SDRAM

Chipset 1

Model : Intel Corporation 82845 Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A3-step)

Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 101MHz (404MHz data rate)

Total Memory : 256MB SDRAM

Memory Bus Speed : 1x 134MHz (134MHz data rate)

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Samsung SyncMaster 755DF(T)

Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200

Imaging Device : Logitech QuickCam Messenger #2

Physical Storage Devices

Hard Disk : SAMSUNG SP0802N (75GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : SONY CD-RW CRX160E (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr)

CD-ROM/DVD : Generic CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices

Hard Disk (C:) : 75GB (39GB, 53% Free Space) (NTFS)

CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A

CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A

Peripherals

Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT

USB Controller/Hub : Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

USB Controller/Hub : Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

USB Controller/Hub : Logitech USB Camera (Messenger)

Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)

Device : Intel® 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller

Printers and Faxes

Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

Model : Canon PIXMA iP1000

Model : Auto Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-1000 on TARMO

Power Management

AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)

Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services

Adapter : SMC EZ Card 10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI Network Adapter

Performance Tips

Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.

Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

mmm this is the summary..

when u want any details tell me what u want and from where i get it smile

From my experience, you may not have a large enough power supply to power your computer. You have at least 4 drives (3 DVDs and a Hard Drive) plus USB devices. You should use an online power supply calculator to determine the amount of wattage your system will require to power all of your devices.

Based on the information you gave provided above, I was able to determine that you would need at least a 338 Watt power supply, and that does not include any USB devices. There is no program that will tell you how many watts your power supply kicks out. You have to open your computer and look at the output on the sticker on the side of the power supply.

Most big box computers only come with a 250 Watt supply. If this is the case, and you have added drives and cards over time, it would explain your problem. Your computer is "freezing" sometimes randomly, but most of the time when the hard drive is being used in conjunction with your network connection. I honestly think if you check, you will find your power supply is not sufficient.

I would recommend that you upgrade to at least a 400 Watt power supply. If you add RAM memory without increasing the wattage of the power supply, you will only make matters worse.

well about the drives

i don't think i got so many drives

i think it shows my router dude drives too..

because it shows the printer of the dude who has the router

drives are these things where i put CD in?

well in that case i have only one CD rom..and it is CD writer and reader

i do not have a dvd drive..though it shows one in My Computer :S

and Sandra shows one..but this is not mine

btw where u saw 3 DVDs ? i saw only 2 and one isn't even mine...plus my hard disk..

Physical Storage Devices

Hard Disk : SAMSUNG SP0802N (75GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : SONY CD-RW CRX160E (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr)

also..are u sure that it is about power and ram..

because i usually crashes when i download.. shocked

Well the fact that you have formatted recently and it still crashes would tend to lead us to believe it is a hardware issue. I personally think you should upgrade the computer. Typically, the crashes that you seem to be having are power supply or RAM related. Your power supply may be rated for enough power but that doesn't mean the power it is putting out is clean or within the limits needed by your components (there are tons of posts online about the new Antec Neo HE power supplies not working with ASUS SLI motherboards - those power supplies are great and powerful and those motherboards are some of the best on the market....they just don't work well together. Oh and Antec has revised the wiring in the power supplies so there are no longer instability issues).

Quote:

Are you using Daemons Tools or anything like it to create a virtual cd/dvd drive?

If so, uninstall it and see if that helps. 256MB of ram is the minimum that XP will run on and these types of programs use up a lot of ram.

well yeh .. it was installed..

but it wasn't running..

btw the computer crashes even then when daemon tools uninstalled.. as i said..it crashes even after reformat

okay i think i have to buy new ram and power like u say

recommend me ram and power..

Char, first do as Thor suggests and buy a new power supply. At least 400 watts. I just finished an article that Philipp had posted here on power supplies and it says it leads to crashes when you don't have enough juice to run everything. See if that doesn't take care of the problem.

If it doesn't then go for the RAM, check who made your comp for the proper RAM to use. The rule of thumb on RAM is, buy as much as you can afford. It only gets more expensive as time goes by for older style RAM.

Good Luck

well these are in my shop..

Toiteplokk ATX Antec SL350PBLUE-EC Fanless, 350W, 0dB, 2xS, Active PFC 2490.00

Toiteplokk ATX Antec TruePower 380W, PFC 1450.00

Toiteplokk ATX Antec TruePower 430W, PFC 1590.00

Toiteplokk ATX Antec TruePower 550W, PFC+TrueControl paneel 2490.00

Toiteplokk ATX AntecTruePower 2.0 430W, PFC, 120mmFAN, 21,3dBA, SATA, 24pin 1396.00

Toiteplokk ATX Aopen, 300W AO300-12HNF, P4, CE, SA, low noise, retail 690.00

Toiteplokk ATX Aopen, 300W FHX08, P4 635.00

Toiteplokk ATX Asus 360W, A-36H, 2xFan, PFC 590.00

Toiteplokk ATX Chieftec ATX-410-212-BULK, 410W, 12cm jahutim , PFC 690.00

Toiteplokk ATX Coba King, 420W, CE, PFC, 12cm low noise fan 450.00

Toiteplokk ATX Codegen, 300W, P4, CE, PFC, low noise 220.00

Toiteplokk ATX Codegen, 350W, P4, CE, PFC, low noise 260.00

Toiteplokk ATX Codegen, 400W, P4, CE, PFC, vaikne 295.00

Toiteplokk ATX Codegen, 400W,12cm fan, P4, CE, PFC, SILENT 299.00

Toiteplokk ATX Inter-Tech Coba King Ultra Silent, 420W,12cm fan, P4, CE, PFC, 19dB 490.00

Toiteplokk ATX Inter-Tech Coba King, 420W,12cm fan, P4, CE, Active PFC, eraldi kaablid 990.00

Toiteplokk ATX Inter-Tech XX Power, 400W,12cm fan, P4, CE, PFC 390.00

Toiteplokk ATX Linkworld LPG12-35 550W, 12cm jahuti, Retail 397.00

Toiteplokk ATX Linkworld LPK12-30 420W, 12cm jahuti, Retail 297.00

Toiteplokk ATX Nexus Real Silent NX-3500 SE, 350W, 19.2dB, SA 990.00

Toiteplokk ATX Nexus Real Silent NX-4090 SE, 400W, 16.2dB, SA 1290.00

Toiteplokk ATX Nexus Real Silent NX-5000 SE, 500W, 16.2dB, SA 1620.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Tec 500W, PFC, CE, 12cm ventilaator, 26dBA, must 430.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Tec 500W, PFC, CE, 12cm ventilaator, alla 26dBA 430.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Tec 550W, CE, kaks ventilaatorit 599.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Tec 650W, CE, kolm ventilaatorit 650.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Tec Gold 650W, PFC, CE, kolm ventilaatorit, 24pin, SATA ots,29dBA 696.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Technology QT-02350G Ultra Quiet , 350W, SA, Active PFC 996.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Technology QT-02400G Ultra Quiet , 400W, SA, Active PFC 1296.00

Toiteplokk ATX Q-Technology QT-03400G Ultra Quiet , 400W, SA, Active PFC 1296.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sharkoon Phasetech, 350W, CE, 24pin, SATA, Temp control. 995.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sharkoon SHA350-8P, 350W, must, OVP, OCP, SCP, CE, 24pin, SATA 697.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sharkoon SHA450-8P, 450W, must, OVP, OCP, SCP, CE, 24pin, SATA, 6-pin PCI Express 856.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sharkoon Silentstorm, 430W, hõbe, dual Fan, Temp contr., Active PFC, CE, 24pin, SATA, 6-pin PCI Express 1396.00

Toiteplokk ATX Shuttle 250W SilentX PC40, XPC-le 995.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sunbeam NUUO 450W, hõbe, PFC, CE, 120mm+80mm reguleeritav FAN, 24pin, 4xSATA ots,3,5" kontrollpaneel 1396.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sunbeam NUUO 450W, must, PFC, CE, 120mm+80mm reguleeritav FAN, 24pin, 4xSATA ots,3,5" kontrollpaneel 1396.00

Toiteplokk ATX Sweex 650W Gold, PFC, CE, 12cm fan, SATA ots,24pin, 20dB 696.00

Toiteplokk ATX Tagan TG420-U01 Black, 420W, SA, Active PFC 1295.00

Toiteplokk ATX Tagan TG420-U02 i-Xeye Black, 420W, SA, Active PFC, dual fan, light 1295.00

Toiteplokk ATX Thermaltake W0050 Fanless, 350W, 0dB, 2xSA, Passive PFC 1870.00

Toiteplokk ATX Zalman Real Silent ZM400B-APS, 400W, SA, Active PFC 1396.00

Toiteplokk ATX/BTX Gembird, 400W,12cm fan, P4, CE, PFC + voolukaabel 446.00

Toiteplokk Shuttle PC50 Silent X 300W, G-G4, retail 1550.00

what should i pick from these?

any other opinons what to buy from these?

also..where to look how much watts mine has..i mean that what's in my comp atm...

if i have to look inside then..where is it located?

and where is it written?

One other thing that comes to mind is your cpu usage. While downloading your virus scaner is checking all the incoming files.

If this causes your cpu usage to increase to 100% it could also cause the lockups.

You can check this by bringing up the task manager and clicking the processes tab before you start your next download.

If any of the processes have a high cpu (90-100%)or memory usage

post the name of it here and we'll try to identify the program for you.

It will be a large white sticker on your power supply listing alot of information, you will see the output wattage on this sticker.

And Antec and Thermaltake have proved to me to be great PSUs so you would be safe going for either of those. I would assume Zalman makes a good psu since all other products of theirs I have used have been great.