Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miker1

New to Ubuntu

I recieved Ubunta the two pack, (install/live) CD's from a computer builder after I spoke to him about a prevous system crash. I tried to install the program, and it lookes like it did partly, but for some reason it stopped, and I did not know what commad to enter. Then I popped in the live CD and hit enter a few times and was able to use the computer. I can only use this to surf the web, and I can not download anythingbecause it says something about drivers or plugins being required. I can not get it to work properly, as the live CD must be in my CD driver at all times of use, How can I install the O.S. and remove the live CD, adn become able to download things, I'm not dummy but it is complicated.....please help

Take a look at the install page on the Ubuntu Wiki Page. See if this helps at all.

If the installer is having a problem with your system, try to post at what point that the installer stops, or if there are any error messages.

I'm sure the builder that sent you the cd disks knows about the hardware and system requirements for Ubuntu, but it also may be helpful if you can post what make and model system you have, or any specifications of the system, such as how much ram is in the box and how large the hard drive is.

How is the hard drive now partitioned? Did you do anything with the hard drive after the system crash, or do you know why the system crashed?

G'day there,

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? Judging by the date of your post it is probably 'Breezy' rather than 'Dapper'. This may have a bearing on how well it installs. With the earliest release of Dapper there was a problem with installing X on a number of systems, which has now been rectified.

The Ubuntu site has a forum which should be able to help you.

Best of luck

John