Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timotheos

HOM&M 3 directx problem

This is really annoying! i used to have win98 and heroes 3 complete worked perfectly, but then i recently have gotten a new computer with XP on it, and now when i install it, it cant ditect the version of DirextX that i have, so it wont play the game.

The message i get is

"Setup has determined that you have a current version of DirectX. You do not need to install at this time. Would you like to install anyway?", then,

"Setup has detected an unknown version of DirectX is installed on this computer. the minimum requirements for this game is DirectX 7. You will not be able to play this game until dirext x is upgraded"

What should i do??

Grab a copy of the newest Direct X and upgrade, is what I would do.

???

its still hasnt worked.

i get a list of the minumum requirements and what i have... but by directX it says minimum requirements DirectX 7, and that i have an unknown version or DirectX.

do i have to uninstall directX before installing DirectX 9?

You shouldn't have to do that but it is best to cover all bases. So give that a shot and see if that helps. You might also want to go ahead and install the game and when it asks you if you want to install Direct X, go ahead and do it and see if that fixes the problem for you.

Good Luck

Thanks. Sorry. where do you go to uninstall DirectX in the first place... couldnt find it under add/remove programs in the control pannel.

You cannot remove directx by using add/remove.

In the net there are tools for this, but I do not know which is best and working tool... And this kinda operation can mess your computer, too.

Google for "directx 9 uninstaller".

Good luck.

Tim, I have to agree with Wilhelmus, removing Direct X can mess up your computer. Your best bet is to try and rerun the program and when it asks if you want to install Direct X go ahead and let it install.

You could also try and partition your harddrive so that way you can run both Win XP and Win 98. There are alot of threads in here on the proper way to do that if you want to try it. Just use the search feature Philipp has it set up real nice to find things.