Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skyspeedr

DWL650+ not recognized/no power - SuSE 10.0

OK, I'm at a disadvantage right now. I don't have SuSE available to me, as my system will not be totally set up until those taxes are in. It looks like you have an AP, WEP key (which is correct) and ESSID.

You have no IP address when doing ifconfig

I may have missed this, but you have a broadband connection? Not DSL, correct? Which ISP provider?

I can't remember the correct command to bring the network up in SuSE (too many distros...)

You set up the wireless card to activate at boot (auto DHCP at boot) in Yast?

If not, try the following at the command line, as root user;

dhclient wlan0

If this returns ok, then see if ifconfig shows an IP address.

SUCCESS!! This post is via a working DWL 650+ on SuSE Linux 10.0!!!

OK, here's what I did...

First off, I found the KWiFiMan application and discovered that my network was being seen (along with several other networks) except that there was no connection, and obviously no IP address reported. So I set up a static IP address on the router for the MAC address of the card, and then set that address in the YaST setup dialog. Still no success. So I tried experimenting with the card setup in YaST and observing the behavior of the card using KWiFiMan. I changed the Operating Mode to "Managed" instead of "Ad-Hoc" (my Windows PC's are set up as Ad-Hoc) and WHAM!! I was connected!!! I could access the router but not the Internet, so I went back into YaST and set up "Name Server 1" with the LAN address of my router (192.168.0.1) and BINGO!! I was up and running!!

Thanks very much for all your help!! I could not have done it without you!!

[Edited by skyspeedr on 2006-04-10 00:29:37]