Compatible Support Forums
mckelvey

Modem with TD line always high

I installed an Actiontec EX560LKU external serial/USB modem and connected it to a serial port. The TD light remains lit and the modem will not respond to commands. Another identical unit behaves the same way.

The modems work properly on Windows 2000.

I also have an EX560LKA (serial only) which works fine.

The Linux is Fedora Core 2 and 3.

I even tried a null modem cable in desperation; the TD light goes out, but of course it still does not communicate.

Any suggestions?

The easy explanation? The LKA is a true hardware modem and the other (LKU) has a different chipset, or is not a true hardware (onboard chipset driver) modem and/or is not supported by Linux.

Any idea what chipsets are in each modem?

Quote:
The Linux is Fedora Core 2 and 3

So, which is it? Or, do you have two different installations of Fedora?

Realize that some of these modems are designed for Windows, in that they are soft modems designed for Windows. Support improves with each release of Fedora, so it may be that native support for the non-functional modem is in Fedora Core 5.

Sorry, I meant that I tried it on both Fedora 2 and 3 and got the same result.

The LKA has:

ati9

North America

(01.00AEI2316\00000002\MODEM\TIA0578,TIA0602\56K EXTERNAL MODEM;C9)

ati3

56K External Modem Serial s110701bA11 V2 V92cap Mercury

The LKU has:

ati9

North America

(01.00AEI2316\00000002\MODEM\TIA0578,TIA0602\56K EXTERNAL MODEM8E)

ati3

Actiontec 56K Hybrid Venus V.92 Serial s02.08.16iA07H V2 V92cap Mercury

The "hybrid" might mean that the LKU is serial/USB.

From what I can tell from modem-help.com, "Venus" means a Lucent chipset. Note that both have the same "AEI2316" hardware ID.

I asked Actiontec support, and they just said that it was probably the lack of a driver for Linux -- no real information.

I have the exact same model and type of external modem, and not to to cuase more trouble but i have a quick question to ask as well. : ) I got the modem to work fine on On Windows XP proffessional addition... and by the modem i mean the external 56k USB/serial actionec modem with the model number: EX560LKU

However i recently reformatted my computer, and have lost the installation CD, so i was wondering if someone could direct me to teh appropiate website, preferably the exact page, where i could download an installation file onto my USB stick, as i cant' do it directly (because that computer doesn't have internet) and install it.. I just need to be able to install the drivers and the like so it can work.. I was hoping some computer guru could direct me to the appropiate site, so i don't end up downloading a virus or something.

anyway thanks in Advance

This is one of the most difficult modems that I have ever researched. Apparently, it was made by ActionTec for AOL. There is no support on the ActionTec site for it.

These sort of legacy modems are a real hassle. The "hybrid" probably means just that..it is a legacy modem made for a specific company for their systems.

One way to look at the modem is the hardware ID number. This is sometimes the only way to figure out if it will work in Linux, by comparing it to a like modem.

jilow, this is a Linux site that you posted on. Are you looking for a Windows driver, or Linux driver?

If Windows, there is no driver for it for Windows XP. I looked on DriverGuide.com and there are only drivers for Windows 98 and 2000. The user who posted the driver contacted ActionTec to get the driver. I would contact them and inquire about the modem. If you get a helpful tech. they will most likely send you a driver, if it exists. You could also contact AOL, if this is your ISP provider.

Is you issue that the modem is not listed in the hardware/device section of Windows, or getting it to connect?

You are correct that the modem was distrubuted through AoL, it may have been helpful to mention that to ease your search of it's background.

I'm sorry that I did not recognize this was exsclusively a linux related topics/issues. But thanks for the response and the effort. You are correct in your thoughts I run windows XP proffesional edition on my computer. However if you do have the time, or are willing to put in some time, as i said earlier the modem worked, with the original installastion CDs on windows XP proffessional edition. And recently i had issues, warranting a reformat, which went well, however i couldn't find where i placed the Discs. All i need is a site where the original installation files, which were on the discs, that came with modem, and it should work. As it worked once on windows xp pro, before reformat. I'm going to explore the site you've referenced, as i feel it would be a good start, and I'd like to thanks you very much again. And i apologize for misusing your forum : ), if i have, or gain in the near future any signinficant insight as to solving the free/better version of windows, i.e. linux, i'll be sure to let you all know.

-Jilow

I found this in the unbuntu forums and it works, however there is still a problem. everytime you restart the machine you have to reset the modem. If anyone knows how ti make the setting permanet, I would be very grateful.

Quote:
I have an ActionTec EX560LKU USB/Serial modem I got working without too much trouble so I thought I'd share my experience and save someone time.

This modem has both USB and Serial connections. I can't use serial for other reasons so USB was my only real option.

1. I went into Device Manager to see if modem is listed. it was as PL2303

2. In Terminal I did "dmesg | grep USB" (note | is a character on the keyboard)

dmesg listed PL2303 as attatched to USB0

3. I used the menus System> Administration> Networking> Modem Connection> Properties> Modem> General type in your provider and account information.

Then in the Modem tab at the Modem Port field type in /dev/modem

4. In Terminal type "ln -sf /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem"

Back to menu System>Administration>Networking>Modem Connection click on activate to dialout. Later click deactivate to disconnect.

Thats it, believe me it reads harder than it is.

I found since this modem is a real hardware modem that even using the USB connection I didn't need any drivers. There seems to be some confusion about this as I've seen posts of people talking about getting drivers for USB hardware modems, in this case I didn't find it necessary.