Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
belveder

Freezing with high pitch squeeling

The last couple days my computer keeps freezing with a high pitch squeeling noise. If I am playing music or a game then most times these audios will still keep playing but that's all, the rest of the computer is frozen and I have to press the reset switch to get out of it.

Any help or advice would be greatlfully appreciated

My system in case you need it (running XP Pro)

K8n NEO Platinum Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64+ 3200 CPU with Thermaltake Venus12 fan

2 gig DDR400 memory

MSI NX6600GT Video Card

250 GIG Western Digital IDE HD

200 GIG Western Digital SATA HD

80 gig WD IDE External HD for backups

NEC ND 3520A DVD Burner

Pioneer 110 DVD Burner

SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS soundcard

Topower TOP-500PS 500W PSU

Thermaltake Kandalf Tower

Logitech Elite Keyboard

Logitech Optical Mouse

Altec Lansing 5100 5.1 speaker system

Have a listen, your PSU is dying, if the noise comes from there, you know what the prob is.

Thanks for the reply but the sound isn't coming from the psu, it's coming from the speakers

Okay, what have you installed lately? Did this occur after installing a new game or program? If it did, uninstall the game/program, see/listen to what happens.

If you haven't, possibly Windoze lost some files, it happens, we all have to live with it. Uninstall your soundcard through the device manager, reboot, and then reinstall it.

Is there an update for your soundcard, and did you just install said update?

Sounds like an IRQ problem, something to do with your soundcard slamming your RAM, of which you have gobs. I'd definitely try uninstalling the SB card, and starting off fresh with it, if you haven't already done that.

mmm, the only thing new that I have done is put some firefly molex led's into the molex plugs, which I am very dubious about. Oh and I put a Leadtek Winfast DTV1000 T TV card in which I forgot to put in my specs. I have checked to see if everything is seated properly.

I thought it might be a missing Windows files problems so I did a 4 pass format and reinstalled an image I have through Acronis True Image. Actually when that was booting from the boot cd it came up saying there was 2 reading USB errors.

Sounds like you have a couple cards fighting for the same IRQ, PITA. >:(

Maybe try uninstalling the Leadtek and SB cards, then rebooting, when they reinstall, maybe they won't get in a fight. Try installing the TV card first, then the SB card.

BTW, don't let Windoze install the cards, click "cancel" when it asks, then install them yourself manually, using the "setup.exe" on the CD, or, if the CD will autorun, same thing.

Thanks for that, I'll try taking the Leadtek card out and see what happens, never used it yet anyways

Congratulations, you're the latest to experience Creative's wonderful "squeal of death".

From a news item released in 2002:

Creative Technology Ltd.'s latest Audigy sound cards seem to be plagued by an elusive "squeal of death" that is causing random lockups in PCs using the card and the latest Windows operating systems.

The error was reproduced Friday at the company's Singapore headquarters, as well as at Creative's testing and support facility in the U.S. So far, Creative has neither identified a cause for the glitch nor a single unified solution to work around the problem.

Unfortunately, this problem has never been solved, and affects every card in the Audigy lineup, including the Audigy 2 ZS. There's a thread on the Creative forums that, at least glance, was almost 30 pages long, filled with a myriad of complaints about the exact same problem you're experiencing.