Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KB1972

IRQ Probs (due to ACPI?)

I've got a new Compaq p3/500 with an internal PCMCIA adapter that I've added (for work). I use SanDisk flash disk cards, which end up being treated by Win98 as a new HD controller (on IRQ5) and as a new disk drive. It all works great.

Under Win2k, though, it sucks. I did a clean install of Win2k pro on a second partition. Win2k recognizes the pcmcia reader perfectly, but fails to assign an IRQ to the flashdisk. The device manager says that IRQ5 is used by ACPI. But under "resources by type" view, IRQ5 appears to be available. There is NO PLACE where I can verify that ACPI is using IRQ5. And when I manually set the SanDisk card to use IRQ5, it still doesn't work (due to IRQ conflict with ACPI).

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm not using any special drivers for the pcmcia adapter or the SanDisk card. Just the drivers that come with windows (Cirrus-compatible pcmcia controller, and IDE HD controller).

Have you tried setting it to another IRQ? one you know isn't being used. if it works then stick with it if not then try try again.

[This message has been edited by Maverick494 (edited 03 March 2000).]

Try diabling IRQ routing and/or ACPI in system properties/computer by selecting update driver then select similar device... and install "standard PC", Reboot.

I can't. Every spare IRQ seems to be owned by ACPI.

Quote:

Have you tried setting it to another IRQ? one you know isn't being used.