Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mkohutek

prob install Suse 10.0 on newer 64 bit laptop

I have a new HP zv6000 laptop with a 64bit processor and when I go to install Suse 10.0 it requests that I insert a 'driver update floppy'. The install will not proceed any further and I don’t know exactly what this driver update is. Are they the same drivers that I get off HP's website that make my computer work - such as the mouse driver video card etc... Or are the driver updates something I would need to get from Novell? I am just confused as to what kind of updates they are wanting from me. Thanks for you help.

Are you trying to install the 32 bit version of SuSE, or the 64 bit version?

I am having the exact same problem with a AMD XP3700 64 on an ASUS AV8-MX MoBo. I am new to Linux, and have no idea what to do. I assume the drivers for the Via K8M800 chipset are not included in the distro. It is a DVD with both the 32 and 64 bit versions on it, but at no time did I see a selection as to which version to load. It just keeps saying it cannot find the installation CD, or cannot mount the CD-ROM. But of course it is not a CD, but a DVD, and I see no choices for loading with a DVD-ROM.

I tried faking my way thru it's manual installation, but it could never find the install DVD, and was asking for parameters for various drivers that I attempted to load, but I have no idea what

parameters it needs, or how to set them. I guess I am screwed. LOL

I installed it on a XP2600 system with an ECS K7VTA3 mobo (running at XP2900) today, and things went smooth as silk. Runs great and looks great.

I need some info if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Remember, I am a TOTAL newb to Linux, and have no command line knowledge or experience, nor do I really want to get into that aspect of Linux. I just want a more stable OS.

I think that you may be correct, but let's look at a few things. I will share my experience with the same chipset board on my new Biostar board.

When deciding to use a new OS, the first thing is to check and see that it is compatible with your system hardware. This prevents a lot of headaches.

What is the make and model of DVD drive in the Asus system? The media that you burned the installation DVD to needs to be compatible with the drive. Also, the speed that you burned the DVD could affect how it is detected in some DVD drives. I assume you burned the DVD at a slow speed, say 4 or 8X, not at the full capacity of the media or drive? I have seen this happen many times. If you burned the iso images, then you need to do it right.

Check the bios messages as the system starts to boot, to make sure that the DVD drive is detected on boot. I found in my board, that the bios settings on these chipsets have a number of settings that affect detection of ids DVD drives.

You may run into a couple of other issues. Realize that this motherboard chipset is new. I would recommend waiting for the next relese of SuSE, which is due out very soon. It likely will have added support for these chipsets. I installed Fedora Core 5 (just released) with no problems.

However, on my system, Windows XP would not install without the chipset drivers from the Biostar site. Yes, I needed it for my tax software, unfortunately. Granted XP is an older release, but this can be the issue. Most motherboard companies patch hardware problems with drivers made for Windows only...but that is getting better.

Back to the bios settings. Is this a straight system with an ide hard drive or sata hard drive? Again, there may ne a number of bios settings that affect the ide detection of the DVD drive. In my system, the bios was set to use raid, and the channels for ide were off by default. After I changed the settings to match my system, all was fine.

Quote:
I need some info if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Remember, I am a TOTAL newb to Linux, and have no command line knowledge or experience, nor do I really want to get into that aspect of Linux. I just want a more stable OS.

It's nice that you want a more stable OS. However, if you are not willing to learn some basics of a new OS, you can expect being frustrated. While most Linux distros are getting better at detecting hardware and setting it up automatically, your motherboard is new enough that you have to expect some problems. Learning some command line commands will assist others in helping you solve any problems that you may run into (troubleshoot) and make your experience more satisfying, as you realize the power of the command line.