Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vipejc

HELP! EA Sports' NHL 2000

NHL 2000 will not install on default Windows XP, or using the Compatibility Wizard.

Below is the error message received:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Is dual booting my only alternative?

If so, where can I download a free version of Windows 95 to use?

Please help me. I want to play this game. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1)

Click Start->Run:

Type this and press Enter.

explorer C:\WINDOWS\repair

Repair folder will open.

2)

Locate autoexec.nt and config.nt files, hold Ctrl key and click those two files, so you select them both. Now either press [Ctrl+C] to copy those files or right-click and select Copy from menu.

3)

Start->Run:

Type this and press Enter:

explorer c:\windows\system32

System32 folder opens.

Now press [Ctrl+V] to copy those files from repair folder to system32 folder.

4)

Answer Yes, if asked, so Windows will overwrite those two files.

And what exactly will this do? Will this damage my computer? I just wanna play NHL 2000, 99, 98, and 97. If I do that, will I be able to play these games?

This copies backup files of these two files.

How did these two files got 'corrupted' is likely some program messing with those files.

I have ever tested those games, so I cannot verify that those games work in XP.

Compatibility database » Games » General » NHL 97

http://www.ntcompatible.com/NHL_97_c1047.html

Those files aren't corrupted. NHL 2000 will not run on XP. That's my problem. Question is, how do I get NHL 98-2000 working?

Must I multiple boot? If so, how? I'm so confused. Where do I get a free copy of Windows 95 or 98?

The error you post in your first post does mean that those files are corrupted.

If you perform what Wilhelmus said then the specific error that you received up above will go away.

As far as other problems you may encounter you'll just have to post back.

There are no "free" copies of Windows 95 and 98. Windows 95 and 98 are not freeware nor will they ever be.

I am receiving that error because NHL 2000 is not XP compatibile even w/ Compatibility Wizard.

So I need to know, is multiple booting my PC, with XP and Windows 98 my only solution?

Are your purposely being obtuse?

YOU ARE RECEIVING THAT ERROR BECAUSE YOUR AUTOEXEC.NT IS CORRUPTED!

To fix this error you must do what Wilhelmus stated. This isn't an opinion. I'm not just picking from a list and saying DO THIS. The fix action suggested is the proper fix action for this error.

The compatibility wizard is not an all-purpose fix. It usually is only good at bypassing the "This program requires Windows xx". Anything else is hit or miss. This is because the compatibility modes apply a general set of fixes to get games to work.

I do not know about NHL 2000 but NHL 99 (Requires 95 compatibility mode), 2002, 2004 work fine in Windows 2000 and Windows XP so I do not see why NHL 2000 would not work.

Dosfreak, of course I'm not being obtuse on purpose. And, I really do appreciate Wilhelmuses, and your sincere attempt to help.

NHL 2001 runs perfect on default XP. Now, your saying NHL 99 will work on XP w/ 95 compatibility. Yet, the so-called Microsoft PC Game Expert claims NHL 2000 and older, will not work on XP. Period.

Do you see why I'm so confused? I'm hearing yes and no.

That's what I'm saying. If NHL 99 and 2001 work, then why won't 2000, when they use the same System Requirements.

Dosfreak, are you telling me that if I do what Wilhelmus said, this will fix the problem for sure?

Dosfreak, I just tested NHL 99 in 95 compatibility mode. It does NOT work, and I am receiving the same error message as NHL 2000. Why?

P.S. I am trying to install these games. If that helps.

Dosfreak may have said this in a bad way and you didnt understand.

He basically said "Do what Willhelmus said to do, that will fix your problem."

He could have said "Do what Willhelmus said to do, that will fix your problem."

wink

Just try Willhelmus' idea and if that doesnt work, let us know and we can try to help you! (More others can help you than I but I like to think I try)

3)

Start->Run:

Type this and press Enter:

explorer c:\windows\system32

System32 folder opens.

Now press [Ctrl+V] to copy those files from repair folder to system32 folder.

Wilhelmus or anybody, do you mean paste those two files from the Repair folder to the System32 folder?

I did what Wilhelmus said. However, after I copied the autoexec.nt file from the repair folder into the system32 folder, and tried to copy the config.nt folder. I received a message stating this folder already contains a "config.nt" file. Would you like to replace the existing file with this one? I chose no. Was that the right decision, or should I replace it?

Never mind. Wilhelmus, you are da man! I applied your advice. And both NHL 99 and 2000 run perfect (so far) on Windows XP w/ no compatibility assistance. Superb job!

Spoke too soon. NHL 2000 crashed after further play and froze for a minute on XP. However, when played in 98 Compatibilty mode it works great.

Nice to hear! If you plan on playing these games for a long time I'd be interested if you post back with your experiences.

EA sports cames are some of the hardest games to get working in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Dosfreak, will do. So I've heard. I play EA Sports NHL Hockey to NHL 06, religiously.

A new problem has cropped up. According to the NHL 97 Input/Devices, the game is only compatible with a Gravis Gamepad. But, I use an Xbox 360 Wired Controller. And, it works for NHL 99 and 2000, but not 97.

Is it possible to use my Xbox 360 Wired Controller w/ NHL 97, or must I purchase a Gravis Gamepad?

I also have a problem with this game it will install until it gets to sample1.bmp and an error message pops up saying that "unknown error in file set" just wondering what's goin on with it