Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinNewb

Installing aplications PERIOD

I don't know how to install flashplayer on Mandrake Linux 10.1

Nor do I know how to use the GNOME Terminal. Also I can't install programs from online. I download them but unlike windows i doesnt automatically open the installation software.

<PLEASE HELP>

You Can Email me at mozlooms@yahoo.com

Let's step back a bit.

Where are you downloading Flash Player from?

Is it a Linux version of Flash Player?

I'm also trying to make that transition from windows mentality. I've got Mandriva '06 installed. I'm working on installing flex so that I might install wine and then a c++ compiler program...but anyway

I've got my "flex" directory, and to make this concise, I'm unclear on how to initiate the ./configure command in relation and also, when I switched to 'root' and keyed in the directory with file and ran the make install command, I got a "permission denied" message so I tried to run chmod a+x but there werent "enough arguments".

any advice?

Thanks

Did you try installing flex via the Mandriva CD set or web repository, rather than installing from source?

Wine should also be included in Mandriva, but I guess the question is, what exact program are you looking to install via Wine?

I didnt really know what Wine or Flex were up until about 5 hours ago and I'm not finding them on my system.

As far as a program, I'm not really sure exactlly, I just thought it would come in handy. Actually, I'd like to install Bloodshed

I feel like I've got the hydrogen and oxygen, I just cant seem to put them together to make water

at me@machine~$ I dont know if I need to type in "/home/usr/dir" and then ./configure or put ./config before I type that in or what...assuming I'm on the right track

These packages, as well as the compilers needed to compile programs in Linux are on the Mandriva cd set.

Out of rote memory (I am not in Mandriva at the moment), go to start-->I think Configuration (or system -->configuration) -->Configure My Computer-->add/remove software. Type in flex or whatever you want to install and a package should show up. Mandriva will then install it for you.

How to compile applications from source (which is what you are apparently trying to do) requires that compilers and development packages (applications) be installed on the system, which are not in a typical installation.

It is much easier for a beginner to use the Mandriva rpm packages through the Mandiva installer, which is easier and cleaner. If you type in C++ or GCC in the Mandriva software Control Panel, you will see the available compilers. If you plan to use your installation to actually install source packages (they end in .gz or .bz2 file extentions), then it's more complicated. These are compressed files and must be extracted first. How you do that depends on if you are using KDE or Gnome as your GUI.

In terms of C compilers, see the Bloodshed faq page to get an idea of what is out there for Linux.

I'll try to look up some resources that may help.

Personally, I would not try the Windows version of Bloodshed with Wine, as this version probably does not natively run in Wine, at leat not w/o some work.

yeah, I just had a go around and found the Wine package. way cool.

If I can successfully install something, I just may defect from windows full time

Thanks Dan! You are an ocean of knowlege, reading through these forums, I wonder if you've got Linux loaded into your brain!

as far as c++ programs, I think I've found a few and one is on Mandriva. I just skimmed through wxWidget. You know anything about it?

Unforunately, not. My experience is nil in this regard. I never really played with these compiler programs, except to use them to install Linux source packages.

It sounds that you have been able to make significant progress with installing packages. Nice work!

Thanks, I really appreciate your help also.

I've found in the /bin perl and c++ executables but I cant get them to do anything, but I just started trying so we'll see how that goes

As for the initial post on this topic, LiNewb...

If you havent resolved your issue yet, step by step in plain english;

go to the macromedia site and d/l

in the linux terminal type the directory it's in, example:

dir home/thoughtpolice/macromedia

then, type; tar zxvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

then; ./flashplayer-installer

done

LinNewb never posted back. Hopefully he/she solved the issue and read the directions on the Macromedia site. I could not tell if he/she knew that the Linux version was needed, as the directions are right there.

It's always nice to know how someone made out with an issue, but they don't always post back. smile

solution to my problem I was having, in case it could help someone out

I'm going to use kdevelop and Qt3

I went to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/, followed the directions, after that was done running, I typed in (as root) urmpi kdevelop and it installed itself.

[Edited by thoughtpolice on 2006-03-17 21:19:44]