Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
s2a

PC vs. 360

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

What would prefer as a gaming console? (other needs of yours should be included as you are making the decision)

The PC's (to be exact) specs are:

-Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (640) Socket 775 Cpu

-256 MB PCI Express 16x (Ati Radeon Radeon X600 pro)

-Asus P5GDC motherboard

-80 GB HDD internal and 250 GB HDD external...

-XP Home Edition

-1 cd reader,1cd burner,1 dvd drive that can burn any of today's media (CD, DVD)

-5 fans

-Floppy disk drive

-2 front USB controllers and 4 on the back

-4 GB DDR PC 3200 400 Mhz RAM

-2 firewire ports

All this PLUS an included xbox 360 controller that works on the pc and it's games thanks to the patch from microsoft...

Quote:
What would prefer as a gaming console?

The PC isn't a console and hopefully never will be.

Each console has it's strong points and different markets

XBOX (18-30 testosterone filled boys)
FPS/Racing
XBOX1/XBOX360 compatibility

PS2 (Real gamers who like gameplay (japanese) probably a greater variety of game players than XBOX)
More games and more variety of games
PS1/PS2 compatibility
It's not made by Microsoft....but it is made by Sony....hmmmm....which is worse....what to choose? Well...Sony isn't killing their console prematurely like MS is with the XBOX so as far as the Console market goes MS is the greater evil

Gamecube/Revolution (Demographic is younger)
Entire history of Nintendo gaming.
Less "serious" games but still fun.

I haven't personally owned a console since SNES days but I've played all of the ones that have come out since.

If I were to buy a console it would be the PS2 since I'm not a multiplayer fan (unless multiplayer game has nothing to do with competition or if the plot figures mainly in the game). I prefer my FPS's on the PC thank you very much and I don't like racing games. The PS2 has the greatest variety of games and will most likely (strangely) be the console that will be emulated on the PC before the XBOX.

As for Nintendo. I already have all of my GB/NES/SNES/Gameboy/N64 games on the PC with excellent graphics filters that the Revolution will not provide.....and I don't invite friends over to play games. The only Mario games I like are the old ones or possibly the new 2D ones but I'm not gonna buy a handheld just to play those. The 3D Mario's are lame.

So it's PC for me. Suprise Suprise.

I agree for the most part with dosfreak, not sure that the type of gamer for the Xbox is only the 18~30 demographic but I can't really argure, however, I have an Xbox and I'm over 40+ so what does that say about me wink

The other thing you have to look at, if strictly from a games standpoint, is this:

What type/genre of games do you intend to play ?

If you are going for the FPS/Racing type then the Xbox had some really good ones, however, I also thing that Doom 3/Half-Life 2 are da bomb on a PC, there is nothing like the mouse + keyboard combo for control laugh

Also, if you want to get into any of the MMORPG's then the PC is the best option as well. I'm currently playing Lineage 2 and you can't get that for a console, not sure if Blizzard is looking to port WoW yet or not but who knows wink

I'm hooked on PC's. My number 2 son bought himself an XBox, number 3 son is going to buy himself a PS2. Me, I don't like the XBox, I'm used to a joystick and mouse/keyboard. Yeah, there's a lot of buttons on a game pad, but you also have to hold the game pad, so yur kinda missing the digits needed to push said buttons.

TV's are limited to a 60hz refresh rate, and they'll never keep up to CRT monitors, LCD's will never keep up to CRT's.

I cannot, for the life of me, justify the cost of an Xbox 360, when I have an ecellent computer sitting on my desk, that does so many other things, aside from playing games.

PC's rule, nuff said. smile

PC. WASD + Mouse.

Console: no WASD + Mouse.

smile

(For those who do not get it: by WASD I mean common FPS controls for moving around... ;))

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:
PC. WASD + Mouse.

Console: no WASD + Mouse.

smile

(For those who do not get it: by WASD I mean common FPS controls for moving around... ;))

You lost me with the WASD. laugh

I'm right-handed, but being a vet of many flight sims, I'm used to flying with the joystick in my right hand, mouse in my left.

I cannot use a mouse right-handed anymore, it messes me up, heh heh heh. I have HL2 and FarCry configured to use the keys closest to the arrow keys on my KB, I use my left hand to control the mouse.

I suppose I'm a "lefty" when it comes to computers. laugh

I'm a PC gamer for all, however I have seen the light in terms of using an "improved" xBox as a media centre (it has Xbox media player installed).

By connecting it to my home network, I can access all my media files in a different part of the house and watch on my big screen without having to have my computer desk in the lounge room. I can also play golf etc with mates on the same unit whilst knocking back a case of brews before we head out, which makes it a social investment too.

The best part is, seeing that I waited, I picked it up for $AU100 with 12 games, 2 controllers and the DVD do-wa, then a mate "improved" it for me. That's the best part of the XbOX, the media capabilities.

Each 'console' has its own unique pros and cons, but I personally like FPS on PC much better due to the mouse control.

But PS2 has some of the best RPG type games and I like sports games on PS2 better than PC or Xbox.

Xbox has great racing games and a few good RPG games, and of course Halo2 which you can't help but like to play if you system link a few boxes together and have a party.

Overall, PC is my favorite gaming system but you can have a great time with any of the other ones, if you play the right games on each.

I've always felt this is sort of apples and oranges. Consoles are pretty much the true definition of Plug and Play. Limited or no upgradeability (though MS has tried to change this with the plethora of add-ons for the 360, but still no vid or proc upgrades short of hardware hackers) but turn it on, and BAM, ready to play. Long load times sometimes...yes...but not due to a hardware issue normally. On the con side, 6 months from now...you are still stuck with the same hardware. 12 months...yep..same hardware. PC's as we know have upgrades today for the upgrades you just did last week, extremely dynamic. Fanboys exist for any console or video card or processor or memory. So in that respect the apples and oranges point holds little water. I personally have an Xbox and want a 360 but I have no qualms with PSOne/PS2/PS3. I think Nintendo although pretty much the forefather of consoles is now trying to play catch-up with no end in sight. As far as PCs I prefer SLI to Crossfire purely for maturity of the system, but I like ATI video cards <shrug>. I have been piecemealing a system together over the last couple of months and have two pretty good video cards for it (Asus 7800GTX TOP 256MB cards), but we are already talking about 7900GTX's coming out (and those cards are only three months old). One good thing about consoles it there is a pretty long technology upgrade cycle. Just my two cents.

I constantly see remarks that Nintendo is trying to "catch up".

They aren't.

The console market from 1995-2001 has been very succefull for both Nintendo and Sony. With the introduction of the XBOX in 2001 it's shown that there is also another market for another yet another console.

Each console serves a particular section of the gaming public.

If we lose Nintendo we lose alot of easy to play, less serious games.

If we lose Sony we lose ALOT of variety in games.

If we lose XBOX we lose FPS/Racing/former PC owners who went to console.

Each console currently has a massive amount of users (yes even Nintendo). Even if the PS3 doesn't pick up as many users as the XBOX 360 did on lauch (it will surpass the XBOX 360 launch by far but let's just pretend), that doesn't matter because the PS2 has a MASSIVE installed base and will be supported for quite some time into the future. Compare that to XBOX1 support which is steadily dwindling.

Which console will still be used by alot of the populace 5 years from now?

XBOX 1 or PS2? Why the PS2 of course.

Hopefully by that time Nintendo will have carved out more of the market but it's doubtfull and not necessary.

I have not seen anything on the 360 that I want to play, yet so who knows, perhaps down the road a bit I may get one so I can hopefully play my existing Xbox titles wink

As for the 360, I wonder if Microsoft will name then 3rd Gen console the 720, to get back to where they started from with the Xbox laugh

Wouldn't that be 180?

Anyway, I was more referring to Nintendo's technology vice their fan base. And you are right, if you want to play one of the 86 versions of Pokemon, then any Nintendo system will work great and there are people who buy the Nintendo systems for specific games. I (and this is only an opinion) think the only problem that will come up with the PS3 is price (although as we saw with the 360, people will pay anything). Sony certainly has done things right in the past (as they pretty much singlehandedly erased the Sega Dreamcast off the planet). This is coming from someone who bought the Playstation One (when it was called just "Playstation") along with a Sega Saturn and a 3DO system because I wanted to play certain games on each individual system. If I had my choice this holiday season (as that will be when the PS3 is available according to the media), I would get a 360 and a PS3 because again like I posted before I like technology and not necessarily one over the other (I like ATI video cards but I prefer nVidia SLI tech over Crossfire). The only reason I don't is because I am no longer a single man (though my wife waited in line 6 hours on opening night for my original Xbox while I was out at sea and was the person who got me the Dreamcast for my birthday several years back). Both systems are powerful and I think Sony's possible inclusion of Blu-Ray tech and better outputs (1080p I think) will make it the more "techie" system but Microsoft's ability to give you a Plug and Play Media Center box fills that niche better.