Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mqgeek

WUSB54G + Ubuntu

I've installed the ndisgtk for Breezy. I've also installed the Windows XP driver. I go to System / Admin / Wireless. I see the Windows Wireless driver but when I go to Configuration, I don't see a wlan card? Do I need to try another driver?

Look at the "related threads" link below, which has some links that may be helpful. This is an area that lists threads that may have the same issues as you posted.

The actual link to the thread is here.

That's where I started... I don't really know what to download as far as other drivers are concerned.

Let us know what the last step that you did was, in the instructions.

What version of the Wusb54g do you have? Look at the underside of the unit and post the revision number that this unit is. Different revisions may have different chipsets that may or may not be supported.

But, it looks like the card is detected.

Let's see where you are with the instructions and we can go from there.

Do you have your essid for the router and the WEP key (if you have one) for the router, so that the unit can connect?

I have WUSB54g v4.

The last thing I did was go to System / Admin / Wireless to check that my driver was installed. I have the rt2500 driver as a driver. But when I click on Configuration, my Wireless card doesn't show up.

OK, I think that I see the confusion here. I believe that the main instructions are not totally clear.

I actually think that I will try this myself and see what I get.

What Windows drivers did you use...where did you get them from?

OK, I just installed Ubuntu and tried this out.

I used the ndis-gtk utility.

From your last post, I see a problem. You installed both the v2 and v4 drivers? If so, this is a problem. You need to get rid of the v2 drivers. This will muck up the system. In a terminal window, as root user;

sudo ndiswrapper -l

If it lists both drivers, remove both that you see;

sudo ndiswrapper -e <name of the first driver>

So, the correct syntax should be something like;

sudo ndiswrapper -e rt2500usb

Do the same for the second. Use the exact name that you see from the ndiswrapper -l output. That's -l, as in the letter "L" (small l).

Once you delete the active drivers, you should get no drivers recognized when doing ndiswrapper -l.

Then try the gtk utility again, installing the inf file from only the v4 driver.

At first I only installed the v4 driver... My wireless card still didn't show up so that's why I tried the v2 driver. Should I try the v2 driver first instead?

If you have the version 4 hardware, no, this is the incorrect driver.

Take a look at section 3.1 of the wiki instructions.

Follow them exactly. Do not attempt to install from the cd itself. Make sure that you copied the correct inf and sys files to the home directory. No more and mo less. One inf and one sys file.

Then read the troubleshooting directions link on the bottom of that section.