Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivnLarge

Untitled thread

hello all, I am a new Linux user. After two weeks of trying to install Mandriva 2006, I sadly gave up and switched to Ubuntu. I successfully installed it on one try and so far pleased with it except for the fact that everything is different and taking me a while to get used to since this is my first linux ever! So far I been to customization sites and got gDesklets which i then got all these cool icons, themes etc. but took me forever to learn how to do that!

I was at this site where someone wrote everythign they did when they downloaded Ubuntu and how they customized it and he even mentioned how to install mozilla firefox but to have the updated version and some code to enter into the terminal to change the shortcut because i guess Gnome would still have the old shortcut there and not work for the newer one.. anyways that didnt work for me so im still using the origninal firefox.

Anyways in his CRITICAL UPDATES section, he mentions how to edit i believe a source.list file to be exactly like his because of something to do with hoary being not good or somthing i have no idea. Also i tried the update and upgrade commands he mention and they worked but i also got errors when they ran. Hopefully someone can fill me in and help me out.

Anyways i edit my file like he said to and whenever i open my synaptic package manager i get this:

"W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1 (20041020) unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%204.10%20%5fWarty%20Warthog%5f%20-%20Preview%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20041020)_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1 (20041020) unstable/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%204.10%20%5fWarty%20Warthog%5f%20-%20Preview%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20041020)_dists_unstable_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net warty-backports/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net warty-backports/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net_ubuntu_dists_warty-backports_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net testing/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)"

Also how the heck do you say download partition magic and install it? Im having a hard time with executables in linux. I see tar mentioned everywhere. Im dieing to download my online [censored] games like WPT and start playing.. Its a pain in the 4$$ switching to windows just to use my DC++ p2p program just to download and i dont want to find myself needing windows.. whats the point of using linux when you still need windows? So im trying to never rely on windows again.

Thanks

oh and what are these splash screens?

This is why you need to be careful when following directions given on a website. Is this article relevent to the version of Ubuntu that you installed? Which version did you install?

Also, the link that you gave to the article is dead. Did you post the total link address? If so, maybe it is down this am.

Two of the sites that were given to repositories have moved, so they are dead links.

The others look like incorrect links to subdirectories.

Linux is designed to run Linux programs, not windows programs. While there are packages (programs) that you can use to emulate running Windows programs, they are still coming along and do not run every Windows program well.

Quote:
whats the point of using linux when you still need windows?

Well, that's true and not true. You can find programs that are designed for linux that will do everything that your Windows programs do. While you learn Linux, you can still use your Windows programs via dual booting.

Windows and Linux are two different operating systems.

Look at it this way, would you try to run your gas powered car on Diesel fuel?

Two different engines, correct?

Once you get comfortable with Linux, I think you may see things differently.

Remember, you are learning something new and need to think in this regard.

Im using the latest version of Ubuntu 5.10

The link i just clicked and it worked so it was probably down when you were on. Try it again.

So I take it, programs are called Packages on Linux. I just want to know so I can get used to the new lingo so I can better describe my situation in the forums.

As for the emulation packages. I found out about wine. I went to Synaptics package manager and installed it but it doesnt show up on my menus. I then searched my system and found it in the usr/apps/ area but it was just one file i double clicked it and it did nothing. So right now that is slowing me down. Only reason I want wine is to try to run my StrongDC++ P2P program. I tried using aMule and DC++. aMule doesnt really download, and DC++ is difficult in finding a hub and connecting. so thats why i want WINE.

quick question i know i posted it earlier but when i was trying to install mandriva 2006 the install process partitioned my ext drive and i was wondering if i lost my windows programs on it. When i open it up in windows i cant access it because i believe its partitioned for linux. but in partition magic it shows all the partitions. Some of which i believe have files on them. So when I go on Ubuntu I can access the drive. When i first installed Ubuntu and I looked at my ext hard drive it listed two or more partitions on the file system browswer window. But now it only lists one. When it did list more than one partition. the two partitions showed a lost + found folder which i cant get access to. I guess only under root. so im going to try that shortly. But as of right now only one partition shows and only the Lost + Found folder is seen. Whereas the other partition (now not seen) also had the same l+f folder along with other folders.

I know it may sound stupid, but im hoping that somehow my files from windows werent partitioned over with the new linux partitions, since it shows there is some files there with partition magic. I know partition a drive... everything gets wiped out and then the new partitions are created. so my hopes arent that high.

Another problem im having is up[censored] firefox... probably because im still new to the terminal process with commands and this sudo thing.

Thanks in advance.

btw here are my partitions-

mypartitions.jpg

why the different ones. well i had partition magic do an auto part. for linux os. and then that trouble with Mandriva I had. and i accidentally partitioned the wrong drive thinking it was other drive. but notice the file color on the Linux Ext2 partition showing it has files and the used space as well... what is there taking up that space. Would that be the another file system for linux already to go?

Originally posted by livnlarge:

Quote:

mypartitions.jpg

why the different ones. well i had partition magic do an auto part. for linux os. and then that trouble with Mandriva I had. and i accidentally partitioned the wrong drive thinking it was other drive. but notice the file color on the Linux Ext2 partition showing it has files and the used space as well... what is there taking up that space. Would that be the another file system for linux already to go?

hmm thats wierd. my partition pic didnt show up. I put the "the url of the site with my pic uploaded on it here" and it didnt work. and the other day on here i saw a guy who got his partition picture to show up.. hmmm

well the url of my partitions pic is http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/livnlarge/mypartitions.jpg

Quote:

Quote:

mypartitions.jpg

hmm thats wierd. my partition pic didnt show up. I put the "the url of the site with my pic uploaded on it here" and it didnt work. and the other day on here i saw a guy who got his partition picture to show up.. hmmm

well the url of my partitions pic is http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/livnlarge/mypartitions.jpg

new link - http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/livnlarge/12a16baa.jpg

12a16baa.jpg

Thea article that you references is old and for an older version of Ubuntu. You are using version 5.10, the article is for 4.10.

The cdrom repository in synaptic is incorrect, as you should have the 5.10 reference there.

The other links that show an error are dead, as they no longer exist.

I hope that you saved your old sources.list file, or at least your old repository links. If so, you can replace it with the old one, then run apt-get update.

Do NOT run apt-get upgrade.

You formatted your second hard drive with all Linux partitions. Unfortunately, your old data is gone on this drive.

Quote:
but notice the file color on the Linux Ext2 partition showing it has files and the used space as well... what is there taking up that space. Would that be the another file system for linux already to go?

Yep! Lost & Found is a linux directory where files that are not cleanly saved or shut down before exiting Linux are stored. Your old data and program files will not be there.

Quote:
I then searched my system and found it in the usr/apps/ area but it was just one file i double clicked it and it did nothing. So right now that is slowing me down. Only reason I want wine is to try to run my StrongDC++ P2P program. I tried using aMule and DC++. aMule doesnt really download, and DC++ is difficult in finding a hub and connecting. so thats why i want WINE.

Wine does not run by itself. It is used to install and run Windows applications, basically from the command line.

There are a very limited number of applications that run in Wine. To get an idea of what runs using Wine, see here.

Another good reference is Frank's Corner.

umm yeah about that source file... history. Am i able to extract the original copy off the disk i burned the iso to?

also, one very important question... These .tar and tar.gz files.. are they linux version of .zip? My problem is.. I dont know how to install them. I have to use the terminal and type tar and the file name right? I wish i could find step by step instructions for installing files on here. The ubuntu web site doesnt really go in much detail and dont in general tell you how to install. their web site is like... "the sky is blue because it just is"

Also.. Nero wont work in linux correct? so alot of this old software i have laying around wont work for linux?

---------------------------------------------------------

"Plane, you aint gettin me on no damn plane. I'll kill all you crackers in this van right now."

B.A. Barrackus. aka Bad Attitude Barrackus

Your best source of information, is thew ubuntu wiki.

The link for the Wine section is here.

The main page is here.

The user documentation page is here.

Some versions of Nero will work, in theory with Wine, but I never had good results with it. The Frank's Corner link that i gave above describes this.

Tar files are like zip files, to an extent. Synaptic is designed to take care of dependencies that may be required (other packages that are needed to run specific packages, just like Windows requires some other programs to run, say java).

Installing .gz or bz2 source packages (tar packages) are a little more complex. I suggest synaptic, which is much easier for a beginner.

In terms of the original source file, I'll take a look.