Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DeadNBrkn84

SUSE 10 HP NC4010 Modem Problem Help PLEASE!

I installed suse 10 today after getting frustrated with FC4 wifi issues and everything went smoothly and a lot of the devices worked right off the bat. The Modem while it was found still doesn't seem to work. I'm a beginner linux user so you gotta bear with me, but when I try to dial out in kinternet this is what I get:

SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1 .59 on linux

Status is disconnected

trying to connect to smpppd

connect to smpppd

Status is: disconnected

Status is: connecting

pppd[0]:Plugin passwordfd.so loaded.

pppd[0]: ->WvDial: Internet dialer version 1 .54.0

pppd[0]: ->Initializing modem.

pppd[0]: -> Sending: ATM1

pppd[0]: -> Sending: ATQ0

pppd[0]: -> Re-Sending: ATM1

pppd[0]: -> Modem not responding

pppd[0]: Connect script failed

Status is: disconnecting

Status is: disconnecting

pppd[0] died: Connect script failed (exit code 8)

The modem is a built in Compaq M5457 AC97 Modem Controller (is what is says under the modem configuration over)

Device Name: modem0

Mode: Unknown

Started: Manually

Under Modem Parameters The Modem Device that selected from the pull down window menu is: /dev/modem

There are no initialization strings entered.

I'm trying to give you as much info is possible and that's about it that I can get off it. So if you have any help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

This is a modem, legacy model, made for Dell to run exclusively in Windows. I did a search on it and found that it is a bear to get going in any distro. Not easy at all, if at all.

Do you really need a modem, or do you also have DSL or broadband?

if your search was right that doesnt make any sense because it comes up as a compaq modem and why would a dell modem be in a HP laptop? Because SUSE detects it just doesnt work. So my search will continue and no i dont REALLY need a modem but it would be nice to have at times. If anyone does have any other suggestions i'm all ears. Thanks for your help though it is appreicated.

Sorry, meant to say Compaq, which is also HP!

If you want to read more on it here is the link.

Often, as is this case here, these modems are "winmodems" made as legacy modems for Compaq and HP. They are designed to work with Windows, which comes pre-installed on these systems.

Often, they are designed as AMR modems, which means that they are attached to a "combo card" (2 devices on one internal card). Because of this, they are not true hardware modems, with their own controller, which Linux would have no problem with.

More often than not, the drivers for these modems are made by Compaq or HP exclusively for Windows.

However, did you check the HP site for your model and see if there were any Linux drives? HP is getting better with this and have designed some drivers for their modems for Linux.