Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xonie

HELP I can't install Half Life 2

Ok,

my problem is really weird, the cd just wont load at all! And when I try to open the cdrom folder it's empty.

I know there's nothing wrong with the cd because it's installed on another computer, is this the fault? I thought it was possible to install it on more than one computer as long as you don't run the game on both computers at the same time?

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm kind of desperate for help!

Thanks

No, the license states that you may not install the program on more than one machine. Have you put a completely different cd into your cd drive to see if it will read it? That would at least tell you if your cd drive is acting up.

This is either hardware or disc related. I'm fairly certain you can play HL2 from more than one computer since you can only be logged into Steam once. Theoretically you can play it from a hundred different computers but obviously not at the same time. Besides, the disc or, for that matter, your computer has no way of knowing you've installed it elsewhere! Valve ain't that smart... yet.

Having a program like DVD Decrypter open may cause this so first off, reboot your computer! Make sure the disc is clean. If you have to clean it, make sure you wipe it straight across and not in a circular motion. If that still doesn't work than try another CD. You may need a new drive.

A guy I work with gave me his HL2 CD's, I play all the time, I just use his original account at Steam, not a problem. All I did was change his old password to something I could remember.

I also use a NOCD exe, I refuse to keep the CD in the drive, so Steam obviously isn't all that concerned, because only one account exists for each CD key, only 1 copy of the game(per CD key) can be played at any given time. smile

Ok neither of those helped though, because I tried rebooting and I have no problems with any other cd's but this cd should work since it works on a completely different computer. My last thought is that it's the cd and the computer combined, but how and what should i do?

Just remember that HL2 comes on a DVD, not a CD, so you will need a DVD-ROM drive to read it!

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:

I also use a NOCD exe, I refuse to keep the CD in the drive, so Steam obviously isn't all that concerned, because only one account exists for each CD key, only 1 copy of the game(per CD key) can be played at any given time. smile

LOL Steam is not concerned because you don't need the cd in the drive to play. Actually your lucky that Steam's VAC has not noticed you using the no cd crack and ban your account which could happen if you go online to play (just fyi)

also I only ever needed to enter the key the very first time I installed HL2. I downloaded the steam client at work and just run it, it installs all the files I need to play, enter my account info (no cd serial number req'd) and away I go I can play.

you can install on more then one computer however your Steam account can only be run from one computer at a time. In other words you cannot have multiple log in's to Steam. So I cannot play at work if my steam account is active at home for example.

S

Originally posted by peterh:

Quote:
Just remember that HL2 comes on a DVD, not a CD, so you will need a DVD-ROM drive to read it!

I'm in Ontario, Canada, I have no DVD, and the HL2 I have comes on 5 CD's. There's a diff between the Euro and North American versions. Could be that newer versions here are DVD now, but mine definitely isn't. wink

Originally posted by thatsteveguy:

Quote:
Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:

LOL Steam is not concerned because you don't need the cd in the drive to play. Actually your lucky that Steam's VAC has not noticed you using the no cd and ban your account which could happen if you go online to play (just fyi)

also I only ever needed to enter the key the very first time I installed HL2. I downloaded the steam client at work and just run it, it installs all the files I need to play, enter my account info (no cd serial number req'd) and away I go I can play.

you can install on more then one computer however your Steam account can only be run from one computer at a time. In other words you cannot have multiple log in's to Steam. So I cannot play at work if my steam account is active at home for example.

S

I don't play online, so no probs for me. As for the serial, I typed it in when I installed on this system, haven't done it since.

smile