Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chrism1367

"application management" problems

Hi I'm new to this forum but I thought this would be the best place to post this question. I have Windows XP Home SP2 and there is a service named "Application Management" listed in the services menu, but according to Microsoft this service isn't supported in Windows XP Home Edition only XP Pro. I get errors in the Event Viewer/System logs. It's hard to narrow down what I am running at the time the error occurs. Has anyone had this problem, and if so is there a fix for this?

Also why do I have this service if it isn't supported in XP Home? Any help/fix would be appreciated. BTW, Microsoft's site said it is a known issue and in order to get support I have to pay for it. Thats not gonna happen. Anyway thanks in advance.

Someone might be able to help you if you would specify what you are talking about. What are the errors you get by viewing your system logs? What article in Microsoft's site are you referring to?

As to Application Management that refers to services.exe and svchost.exe in your task manager.

Quote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328213/en-us
SYMPTOMS
When you add or remove a program by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, the following event may appear in the system log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Description: The Application Management Service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

CAUSE
The Application Management service is not supported in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and the Appmgmt.dll file is not included with Windows XP Home Edition. However, the registry setting that disables this service is not configured correctly in Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, the Add Program routine tries to find the Appmgmt.dll file. When the Add Program routine cannot find the Appmgmt.dll file, the entry appears in the system log.

Copy these lines to notepad, save the file as disableappmgmt.reg, doubleclick the file and answer Yes:
Quote:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppMgmt]
"Start"=dword:00000004

This disables the Application Management service.

To Wilhelmus

How in the hell did you figure that out? I've been googling forever and at microsoft came to a dead end with their "pay us and we will tell you how to fix it" answer. Any way thanks for that invaluable info. Much appreciated.

laugh

[Edited by chrism1367 on 2006-01-13 03:28:26]

Originally posted by chrism1367:

Quote:

Any way thanks for that invaluable info. Much appreciated.

No problem smile

When I copied and pasted the code and tried to run it, I got an error that said ""the specified file is not a registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor." What can I do?

Thanks

You will get this error if you're using Win XP. I had to manually go into the registry editor to stop this app management. To do this...

Start > run > regedt32

Then open up the corresponding classes...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppMgmt]

So, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > AppMgmt

Once in there, go to the start label in the panel on the right, and edit the value from 3 to 4.