Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wnwilson

XP hangs on startup

When I start XP, it hangs every time just after the background image is loaded and before the desktop icons/task bar are loaded. I can hit Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up the task manager, then close the task manager and it will finish with normal startup.

No error messages in the event logs whatsoever.

When you bring up the task manager and see what processes are loaded and how much of the CPU time each is taking, is there anything that stands out?

When you boot into safe mode does it still hang? Is the machine on a network or are you using the ethernet to connect you to a modem (or router)? Is this an AMD processor? Are you using a USB keyboard?

By the way, if you feel brave you can edit your boot.ini file and add /noguiboot /sos /bootlog after the /fastdetect in the XP line. This should eliminate the Windows opening screen and let you see the stuff that is being loaded line by line. When it stalls this should let you see the driver or service giving you trouble. It should also create a file ntbtlog.txt in the \windows subdirectory where you can see each line as loaded.

Happens to me to.....Sampson i seen you asked if he had a usb keyboard.....mine started doing this after i installed the G15 gaming keyboard.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

OK, it is not a USB keyboard. It is an AMD Athlon 64. Not sure about safe mode. I'll check. I am using a network and the machine is connected to a router. I'll try the mod's to the boot.ini. I was wondering if there was a way I could see what was going on. I'm a UNIX guy. XP is one of them thar' foreign thangs!

@wnwilson-Change your boot.ini as above, the various processes and drivers should load to the screen, and the ntbtlg.txt should be created which you can print.

@abyss123-This can be time consuming, but to find what is conflicting with your keyboard, you can do a "cleanboot":

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type "MSCONFIG" --> Click OK

2. On the General tab, choose, "Selective Startup"

3. Uncheck "Process SYSTEM.INI file"

4. Uncheck "Process WIN.INI file"

5. Uncheck "Load Startup Items"

6. Click on the Services tab.

7. At the bottom, check "Hide All Microsoft Services"

8. After checking that, uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled "Disable All"

6. Click OK

7. Click "Restart"

First, after reboot, if you have no problems bringing up windows, go back to msconfig and load each portion or section one at a time until you find the drivers that begin to conflict.

Or, you could "cleanboot" uninstall the keyboard drivers. Then, reinstall them, while there are no other drivers that mey clash with them. Then, go into msconfig and return it to default:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type "MSCONFIG"--> Click OK

2. On the General tab, choose, "Normal Startup"

3. Click OK

4. Click YES or "Restart", when asked to restart your computer. Possibly this would allow the keyboard to load in an address that would not conflict with somthing else.

I got similar problem. The system was working fine, for about 1 week.

During bootup the mobs logo shows up, where I have a chance to enter BIOS, then the black screen shows up where it goes through a quick system check (I have quick boot enabled), then the windows logo shows up.

After 1 week, right off the bat, when I started it up the Mobo's logo shows up garbbled and after that the system won't boot up. It hangs at the black screen screen for a while..then windows gives me the options of booting up in normal mode, safe mode, etc (it all looks garbled though..but I can make out some of the text). But when I select normal or safe mode it still won't boot up.

I updated the mobo's BIOS to the latest one out there...didn't fix the problem.

If I unplug the monitors cable from the CPU and turn everything off and turn it back it..it works. Then when it feels like it wants..againt the problem shows up.

Videocard drivers are installed.

SYSTEM:

AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939

2 - 1GB Corsair Rams

GeForce 6800 GS video card

ASUS A8N5X mobo

all the info I can give.