Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckleman

Windows Xp on a SATA hard drive

hi, i need help.

i tried to install windows xp on my sata hard drive. i did the F6 thing at the begining of the install but the files i copied wernt recognized by windows xp setup. i copied three files, a secutrity catalog, a system file, and a setup information file. the setup asked for an oem file or something like that. Anyway, i was wondering what files i need to copy to my floppy disk in order to install the drivers for my hard drive.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Pc Specs:

Motherboeard-ASUS A8V Delux

Procesor-AMD atholon 64, 1800MHZ (9x200)3000+

Hard drive-Maxtor 7 L300S0 SATA

I don't know much about your particular board but if you head to this site:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Then choose motherboard under product

Then choose Socket939 under series

Then choose A8V Deluxe

When the page finally loads (Asus servers in US are SLOW), click on drivers tab at top.

Now depending on whether you have physically installed your hard drive on the VIA SATA ports or the Promise SATA ports (check your manual or the Asus site for which is which) determines which files you will need to download.

If it is VIA then you need to download this:

VIA VT6420 (VT8237) SATA RAID Driver Package Version 2.20D WHQL

Once downloaded and extracted it will either be all the files you need or it will have a Make Disk executable that will make a floppy for you.

If Promise then you need to download one of the two of these:

Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 for Windows 98SE/NT4.0/ME/2000/XP/2003

-or-

Promise FastTrak 378 RAID Driver V1.00.1.37 for Windows 98SE/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003

I think the regular SATA378 driver has a Make Disk function too but it is not listed. Better safe than sorry and download all of them and make three different driver disks depending on which you want to use. I personally recommend the Promise ports unless you are doing a RAID set up.

Hope this helps.

My WinXP system is complaining that I have a corrupt System file. This is after a year of running fine with raid 0. When I try to repair, I'm able to boot Windows off my cd, press F6 to tell it I have drivers, press S etc. However, when it prompts me to place the diskette into drive A, it does not accept the disk. I had previously used it when I first configured the system. I even tried re-running MakeDisk, but it still does not accept any disk with the FastTrak 378 drivers? Any ideas?

My problem seems to be a faulty floppy drive. Now I'm able to load the drivers, but I'm getting a registry error when running the recovery console.