Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sampson

Microsoft acquires Opera

(Insider Report) - Here comes a surprise. In a recent conversation with one of our insiders at Microsoft, the source revealed that Microsoft Corp., the world’s largest software maker, has acquired Opera Software, makers of the Opera browser. The insider reported that both Microsoft and Google were trying to bid on Opera, but in the end, the software maker took the lead.

Rest of the Story here: http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2108

If it is true, wouldn't this be a kick in the head?

However there is this report: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39243639,00.htm

that denies the rumor: "Our phones have been ringing off the hook," said a spokesman for Opera. "But it's not true. We have not been bought, and we have not received any offers. It's just a rumour, like the Google rumour last week."

But what would happen if Microsoft did? They ate Foxbase this way. And it would certainly keep Opera out of the hands of Google.

and it would allow Microsoft to reap the benefits of Opera into the world of IE7.xx or 8.xx as well wink

This is why I use Maxthon as a browser, it's built on the IE6 core and has it's own front-end with the features I love but better security and such that I can control better.

Even if this is a rumor it would be a nice purchase for Microsoft IMO laugh

No it wouldn't.

The only reason they would possibly buy out Opera would be to shut it down to get rid of a competitor. That's it.

IE is constantly being written into every piece of Windows. It would require a massive rewrite to include Opera code and for what point? MS knows what they are doing and what they want....there's nothing that Opera has that MS couldn't do themselves so there would be absolutely positvely no reason to buy it except for the reason I mentioned above. It's not like this is an antivirus product or an emulator...something which MS has always used 3rd parties for (until they bought them out). MS has been developing IE for the past decade (well....developing gives them too much credit....let's just say maintaining security fixes)

Another Update: Despite a recommendation by infamous tech pundit John C. Dvorak and rumors of a near-complete deal, Opera Software on Friday said it was not being acquired by Microsoft. Opera also says a rumor last week that Google was an interested suitor is just as false. But that hasn't stopped a barrage of opinions.

More at: http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Not_Acquiring_Opera/1135356504

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
No it wouldn't.

The only reason they would possibly buy out Opera would be to shut it down to get rid of a competitor. That's it.

IE is constantly being written into every piece of Windows. It would require a massive rewrite to include Opera code and for what point? MS knows what they are doing and what they want....there's nothing that Opera has that MS couldn't do themselves so there would be absolutely positvely no reason to buy it except for the reason I mentioned above. It's not like this is an antivirus product or an emulator...something which MS has always used 3rd parties for (until they bought them out). MS has been developing IE for the past decade (well....developing gives them too much credit....let's just say maintaining security fixes)

I agree that M$ would be buying them(yeah I know, it's not happening) to shut them down, but I disagree with your statement that they would integrate some of Opera's technology into their own browser.

Integrating some of Opera's technology would not require a "massive rewrite", it would require the addition of code, the same way new features are added to any browser now.

Why buy it? Well, so much software is copyrighted, there's technology that M$ can't use, just like so much technology that M$ has that others can't use. Buy the company, buy the copyright. That in itself is reason enough.

It's not just a case of disposing of the competition, it's also a case of acquiring their technology and copyrights.

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
It's not just a case of disposing of the competition, it's also a case of acquiring their technology and copyrights.

Or in the media parlance being bandied about now, their Intelectual Property frown

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Or in the media parlance being bandied about now, their Intelectual Property frown

Ah yes, exactly what nVidia did with 3DFX.

wink

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:

Ah yes, exactly what nVidia did with 3DFX.

wink

At least nVidia did eventually use the SLI technology that I'm now using in my current gaming rig laugh