Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjwebb007

CD/DVD Problems with a taste of ASPI

Alright people...

I am having a problem reading or even seeing CDs and DVDs..

First some specs...

AMD X2 3800+

MSI Neo4 Platinum (latest BIOS)

ATI AIW X1800XL

2GB Corsair XMS Pro PC3200

MCE2005 (with all updates)

(1) 400GB Hitachi Deskstar

(4) 400GB WD Caviar SE16 Drives in two RAID 0 Arrays

Plextor Premium CD-RW

Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW

Soundblaster Audigy4 Pro

Powercolor Theater500 TV Tuner

Now the problems and what I have done so far...

First, under properties->recording for each optical drive, I can only select one to "Enable CD Recording for this drive". If I select it on one, the other de-selects. Is this a function of MCE or do I have another issue?

(Don't know what to do to fix this one so I have done nothing)

Second, when I select one drive, it allows me to open it in another window, but there is nothing there..just an empty window...this happens whether there is a disc inserted or not...and it switches with the selection of CD Recorder as listed above. The other one will say "Please insert a disc into (whichever drive I clicked on)".

(Again no idea where to start)

Third, with certain CDs or DVDs inserted (not all but more than a few, namely my copy of PlexTools (on DVD) and the copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 that came with my AIW card), nothing happens....the mouse icon shows a disc is being read...then nothing...no autorun...nothing...the disc is spinning...and the light on the CD or DVD drive is flashing...but nothing happens...and when I click on either under My Computer...my second problem happens except it says the disc can't be read due to an I/O error...

I know this is a long post but I feel they are all related...

OH...and I originally had none of the ASPI files loaded...I used ForceASPI to install version 4.60 but this didn't fix anything other than listing all 4 files when I run ASPICheck...

This is very complex. Did this just start or has the system always done this? If it just started, have you recently put in a new piece of hardware or have you just installed some new software? Have you gone into your device Manager to see if there is a "!" in front of your optical devices?

Originally posted by mjwebb007:

Quote:
First, under properties->recording for each optical drive, I can only select one to "Enable CD Recording for this drive". If I select it on one, the other de-selects. Is this a function of MCE or do I have another issue?

Is this on XP?

If so then you can only select one drive for use with the built in burning so this is normal.

ASPI is not in XP by default and only certain third party programs require it.

I/O errors can be due to poor media. Are these original discs or ones you have burned?

As American Zombie said using ForceAspi if you are using XP isn't necessary, but it's your computer. I have done the following and others have tried it in these forums and met with some success.

Follow these steps:

Start Registry Editor.

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then, scan for new hardware, everything should come back to normal.

Because of the ASPI complication, you could also consider doing this in case just in case the first hack doesn't work.

Click on the windows 'Start' button.

Click 'Run'.

Type 'Regedit' and then click the 'Ok' button.

Within the 'Regedit' program, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32\Parameters

Using the context menu (right mouse button menu), create a new 'String' value called 'ExcludeMiniports'

If it already existed, ensure its 'Data' value' is empty.

Reboot your machine.

Remember that you should backup your registry before editing it or export these values to be reimported in case this doesn't help.

Originally posted by American Zombie:

Quote:
Originally posted by mjwebb007:

Quote:

Is this on XP?

If so then you can only select one drive for use with the built in burning so this is normal.

ASPI is not in XP by default and only certain third party programs require it.

I/O errors can be due to poor media. Are these original discs or ones you have burned?

It is on Windows Media Center 2005. It is a fresh install. I knew about ASPI being absent but I figured it might be contributing the problem so I installed them (specifically the 4.60 version since most online postings state these offer more compatability). The two discs I am most concerned about are the original discs that came with my DVD burner and my AIW vid card so they are commercial dics. One odd thing is I can burn to blank CD-R and DVD discs. I just can't read from one or the other depending on which I have selected "Recording" on.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
This is very complex. Did this just start or has the system always done this? If it just started, have you recently put in a new piece of hardware or have you just installed some new software? Have you gone into your device Manager to see if there is a "!" in front of your optical devices?

Fresh install of Win XP MCE 2005. So all the hardware is "newly" installed. There are no hardware conflicts in device manager. I went through each hardware item and made sure.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
As American Zombie said using ForceAspi if you are using XP isn't necessary, but it's your computer. I have done the following and others have tried it in these forums and met with some success.

Follow these steps:

Start Registry Editor.

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

Then, scan for new hardware, everything should come back to normal.

Because of the ASPI complication, you could also consider doing this in case just in case the first hack doesn't work.

Click on the windows 'Start' button.

Click 'Run'.

Type 'Regedit' and then click the 'Ok' button.

Within the 'Regedit' program, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32\Parameters

Using the context menu (right mouse button menu), create a new 'String' value called 'ExcludeMiniports'

If it already existed, ensure its 'Data' value' is empty.

Reboot your machine.

Remember that you should backup your registry before editing it or export these values to be reimported in case this doesn't help.

First registry edit done with no change.

Second edit was already in that condition.

Any other ideas?

One bit of info is that I have five hard drive partitions and these two optical drives. I read somewhere that something needs to be modified for Windows to see more than 4 IDE devices. Four of the partitions are on the two RAID volumes (three on one drive and one on the other) and they are all SATA on the Sil RAID controller on my mobo. Just thought this might turn someone's wheels.

Well, you might try to look in DeviceManager at the Seconday IDE controller to see if it is enabled.

There is a piece of software at http://www.dougknox.com/

(go to Win XP fixes - then on the right side choose Restore CD/DVD Drive to Explorer) on the outside chance this will restore your drive.

Will have to look into the number of drives, but aren't you saying that everything worked until you fresh installed XP or am I getting that wrong?

Both IDE channels are functioning. One is listed as DMA4 (the DVD-RW drive) and the other is listed as DMA2 (the CD-RW drive). I know that during BIOS post it lists the DVD drive as Ultra66 and the CD drive as Ultra33. Both are using 80 conductor cables and are on individual IDE channels, both configured as master.

Everything worked as far as I know. They are all previously used (and worked until they were taken out of service) or brand new. The Plextor Premium has been in a prior system and worked fine (and I think it is working fine now). It seems to be the Plextor PX-716A that is giving me the problems which is new. I udpated to the latest firmware from the (1.09 from 1.03) with one update. Would not doing them one at a time (i.e. 1.03 to 1.04 then 1.04 to 1.05 and so on) have affected anything?

Yeah...I would imagine it would have errored out if that wasn't a good way to update. The I/O error moves to the drive that isn't selected as the "recording" drive, even just to read a disc. I am starting to think it is software related and not hardware related at all as it moves with software changes.

And that link doesn't help me much, as one of the discs I want to read is the PlexTools disc (but can't due to the DVD drive never seeing the disc). That link is only to the upgrade files that need an existing install to work. I didn't want to email Plextor and have to wait on a fix but I may have to.

I'm having the same problem with a Dell with XP. The original cdrw wouldn't read any cds. It would spin and act like it was reading it. If I opened the drive through "My Computer", it would show a blank window. If I opened the drive through the run command, it would say there was no cd in the drive.

I replaced the drive with a Lite-On dvdrw and I'm having the same issue. Both drive work when in other computers.

On the affected computer, I can still burn cds and dvds on both drives. The media that I burn can be read, but no other media can. I can also boot to cds when I reboot.

This is obviously a software problem, but I'm still lost. According to updates copies of McAfee and MS Anti-Spyware, the computer is clean.

I downloaded Plextor's new PlexTools XL or whatever it is so I could see if there was a lack of info that the computer itself was seeing but both drives look the same (except for their noted differences i.e. CD burner vs DVD burner). I also used the software to manipulate some settings but nothing changed. I have a Plextor PX-716SA (SATA dvd burner) that I am going to try to see if I can fix it but otherwise I am at a loss.

Instant fix...install Plextor SATA drive and everything will be back to normal. I need to do more troubleshooting as I know the IDE Plextor DVD burner worked previously in my last computer. I think it is purely too many IDE components and not enough IDE ports.

Hi! I'm new on this website, just registered and seeking help with my PowerDVD player that keeps telling me that it won't play DVD's because of'enabled tv function', don't know even where to begin, I tried uninstalling and re-installing PowerDVD today and got nowhere! I don't know how to deactive this function and my knoweledge is limited since I just bought my first laptop 3 months ago! Can someone help!

M.Hendricks