Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trep|d

AIM Drops My Connection (>.<) behind router

I've had this problem since September and no one I've contacted has helped me, only offered the same solution...just different steps.

When I'm connected on a hardline ethernet cord to my Westell Modem (Verizon DSL ISP)my connection to: Browser, AIM, Online games, etc. are perfect. When I'm behind my Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router (and the one I had before it, but it's trashed) I couldn't connect to AIM for anything longer than maybe 15 seconds. After that 15 second mark, I'd either get the "AOL AIM RECONNECT DIALOGUE: RECONNECTING IN [] MINUTES..." or I would send a message (or check an away message, profile, etc) to a friend...and they wouldn't get it until a few minutes later. Same would happen to me...I'd end up getting like 15 instant messages from the same person in a second flat. QUITE tedious.

So: DSL works...Router doesn't.

suggestions?

thank-you!

JJ

Hi Trep,

I would say it is the router that is causing all your problems. That exact same router used to dump my connections all the time. Even when I had the correct port forwarding done.

First try and update the routers firmware at http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite...FVisitorWrapper.

Also you can find out which ports AIM uses at this addy http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

go into your router and port forward the numbers you find at IANA.

Hopefully this will fix the problem for you.

Others here may also have suggestions for you.

Good Luck

Thank-you Cor, I'll definitely try that.

the current firmware V. for me is 1.05.03

I used to have the Linksys BEFW11S4 V.4 and I had the same problems. :x

Sorry to hear Trep,

I take it Linksys customer service hasn't gotten any better in the past 2 years since I bought mine.

With my Linksys I finally tossed it into an box of spare computer parts and bought Netgear.

I'm at the limit of what I know you can do with routers.

Hopefully someone else will see this thread and comment on it. If not and if your router is new enough maybe you could return it and get a different one or if you can afford to, just go out and buy a different brand.

Good luck with the problem, sorry my ideas didn't work.

Cormac