Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m_phoenix83

Blocked Pages at work!

Hi there all. Would like some advice on the following matter!

Websense is the in-house web filter at my work-place. Our network is comprised of two parts.

1) Client side

& 2) Staff side.

I am on the STAFF side, obviously!

The web filter operates over the two sections and therefore, most off my web-browsing that I do at home cannot be done at work, because some pages are blocked under the different sections of the web-filter.

Ok! Yes, I know I shouldn't use work PC's for personal use, but some sites are blocked, and would like to gain access to some of them. frown

Does anyone know how if it would be possible, for me access (and change some of) the settings on my work PC so that i can access the sites i would like to go to! Is there a way around WEBSENSE? I have been to their website, and they, naturally, dont give anything away!

I have an ADMINISTRATOR account on my work PC, so permissions are not an issue!

Thanks in advance, would appreciate a speedy response.

Kind Regards,

Phoenix laugh

Check with your LAN admin and ask him to unblock the pages and if he says no then your out of luck and surf those sites from home only.

I'm sorry but I will not help you to circumvent the security your LAN admin has set up.

S

Like thatsteveguy says, circumventing your company LAN security is bad, it could be called hacking and lead to your dismissal.

Whether you have admin priveleges on your machine or not is irrelevant to the proxy server. Websense (iirc) uses sets of lists for sites, domains, addresses and words. It can be added/subtracted to by both your local network admin and new lists are also sent out by the Websense compnay.

Obviously there's a reason that the sites you want are blocked, and those concerns are generally productivity, copyright/IP, [censored]ual harrasment, malicious content or economic furgality (business pay for bandwidth too).

If a site has been incorrectly categorised let your admin know so they can review it. One example I can think of is www.deu[censored].com which is the site for the game but the domain name contains [censored] so it would likely be blocked.