Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMad

Need basic help - file/print server

I need some help with my home wireless network, probably pretty basic so I'm sure this won't be too difficult.

I have Comcast high speed (cable) IP access and had them instal the wireless network in the house. I am not able to "see" computers from each other within this network, nor am I able to connect to the one printer hooked into the network.

I have spoken with a Comcast data tech and got some information. Apparently, this network is only able to have all computers access the internet OR "see" each other, not both. To do that I will need a file/print server to manage.

Now to my questions (there are two):

1. Can someone please verify and educate me on what I was told through Comcast?

2. Isn't there a way that I can turn one of my home computers into a "file/print" server without having to use some server application on a large HD?

I really don't want to accomplish much, just be able to transfer files between the computers and be able to print to one server from any of the three in the house. Hope someone can help this noob!

Sounds to me like they installed some proprietary network with a strange subnetting scheme. Your PC's would have to have different subnets or have subnet 255.255.255.255 for them not to see each other. Have you checked the individual network settings of each computer? eg open a command line window and type IPCONFIG then check the first 3 octets of the IP address, and the Subnet Mask. For the PC's to see each other, the Subnet Mask must be something less than 255.255.255.255, and the same on all computers (usually 255.255.255.0), and the first 3 (usually) octets of the IP addresses should be the same (for most home networks, it's 192.168.1.x if you use a Cable/DSL router, or 192.168.0.x if you use Windows Internet Connection Sharing).