Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pizzagirl

Computer freezes when screen saver kicks in

When I had a basic S3 3d video card (8megs)agp I never had this problem, since installing a voodoo 3 3000 agp, whenever the screen saver kicks in my computer will freeze completely. There is nothing I can do but reboot (and when I do I have boot up problems). It is obviously the new video card, but a friend of mine has the exact same problem and he has a different video card (hercules prophet ddr). Is there a reason for this problem and is there a solution other than just turning the screen saver off (which I have done).

What Drivers are you using and are you overclocking, what is simular between your machine and his machine? are you both running win2k?

yeah we do need more information, there is a stron chance that if ur 8 meg video card has different opengl drivers then ur voodoo, and u did not do a proper deletion of the older files, so its trying to use the wrong opengl drivers. but thats only a possiblity we need info.

Sorry for not giving enough information. All screensavers cause that problem... not just the open gl ones.

My system:

k62 333 not overclocked

128 megs ram

voodoo 3 3000 agp with win2k drivers

I am running win2k professional.

My friends system is a P3 450 (??) which is not overclocked either.... he is also running win2k.

Thanks for all your help so far...

Have you tried the most recent v3 drivers, in my opinion it sounds like a driver problem. Especialy if both you and your friend have the same video card and the same drivers.

Excuse me for asking this, but do you and your friend have separate copies of Win 2000. I'm not trying to accuse you of piracy, but there is a possibility that some of the files on your installation CD might be corrupt. This is highly unlikely, but as you have completely different video cards it could be a possible cause.

Just to clear things up here... me and my friend just know each other over the internet... as I stated he has a totally different computer set up and different video card... only thing in common was the error. Not to mention it would be extremely difficult for us to "share" a copy of windows 2000 as implied. Yes we both have legit copies of windows 2000 pro. Apparently the users on this board are a little off track... being more concerned over whether a person has legal copies of their software rather than just helping everyone.

Anyway, I do thank you all for your suggestions... but I just reformatted and did a fresh install... no more problems. So was just a driver conflict after all